Gmail web client as default mail client

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Gmail web client as default mail client

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

No. Because the option isn't listed. ONLY Thunderbird is listed.
I have no further idea then.
Last edited by Pilosopong Tasyo on Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

+Pilosopong Tasyo: but do u have the e-mail address added in 'To:' box in gmail - compose page ? I don't, even trying some string to sent in the setting but still empty 'To:' box... :|
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Elisa wrote:After installing that .deb file you have to sent your setting as for 'Preferred Applications' where you chose the app 'Desktop webmail'. After this step, when clicking on a mailto link, preferred web browser opens with Compose page (if u r already logged in Gmail) but - the e-mail address is not in the 'To:' box in the gmail. So I have to copy the email address anyway. Therefore I have to say - IMHO, it's useless app
On my end it's quite different. Desktop Webmail DOES work; the To: and Subject: fields have been filled up (refer the site I posted earlier for the test). Also, I didn't have to install a .deb file from the webupd8 site. The default repos was sufficient.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Forkjulle

Post by Forkjulle »

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:
Elisa wrote:After installing that .deb file you have to sent your setting as for 'Preferred Applications' where you chose the app 'Desktop webmail'. After this step, when clicking on a mailto link, preferred web browser opens with Compose page (if u r already logged in Gmail) but - the e-mail address is not in the 'To:' box in the gmail. So I have to copy the email address anyway. Therefore I have to say - IMHO, it's useless app
On my end it's quite different. Desktop Webmail DOES work; the To: and Subject: fields have been filled up (refer the site I posted earlier for the test). Also, I didn't have to install a .deb file from the webupd8 site. The default repos was sufficient.
Are you using Mint 11?
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Forkjulle wrote:Are you using Mint 11?
No, Mint 9. But I don't understand why it would not work on Mint 11. Regardless if the instructions on the webupd8 page were written with Ubuntu 10.04 in mind, it should work in general, since the package in question is in the repositories. It could be another issue not related to the Desktop Webmail package itself. As I remarked earlier -- the bane of Mint 11.
Forkjulle

Post by Forkjulle »

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:
Forkjulle wrote:Are you using Mint 11?
No, Mint 9. But I don't understand why it would not work on Mint 11. Regardless if the instructions on the webupd8 page were written with Ubuntu 10.04 in mind, it should work in general, since the package in question is in the repositories. It could be another issue not related to the Desktop Webmail package itself. As I remarked earlier -- the bane of Mint 11.
It makes a difference. It doesn't work in Ubuntu 11.04 either. It did, however, work in 10.10.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

OMG :roll:, I've forgotten that .deb is the Ubuntu deb based not Debian one :lol:

However, it didn't harm my Debian system and I did uninstalled it rather, even it's been working a bit ;)
As I see, there is no alternative for Debian based systems. Never mind 8)
rekik

Post by rekik »

This may help : in firefox, go to preferences>applications>search for "mailto" in the upper search box; then select gmail. It works in Xubuntu 11.04, so it should work in Mint 11
Dirty and incomplete solution but better than nothing (if you are a firefox and gmail user of course).
dsteele

Post by dsteele »

GNOME Gmail version 1.7.x doesn't show up as an option for preferred email client in GNOME 3. If this is your problem, download an up-to-date package at http://gnome-gmail.sourceforge.net, or modify your /usr/share/applications/gnome-gmail.desktop file to have the MimeType line from http://gnome-gmail.git.sourceforge.net/ ... 95;hb=HEAD.

Note that "Default Applications" is housed in "System Info" in GNOME 3.
joethemover

Post by joethemover »

There is a very simple solution to this. I also use gmail as my default.
If you use Chrome as a web browser, you can do it thru Chrome.
I use mailto for gmail extension of chrome. It works flawlessly, but you need to be in chrome.
Don't know if that is acceptable for you or not.
Anyway, here is the link >>> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... hpipajcpjn

Return to “Beginner Questions”