Just recently I decided to try my hand at creating a podcast. I downloaded Audacity on my Windows XP install but no matter what I tried it only recorded very quietly, even with the microphone close to my mouth.
I decided to try re-installing Linux Mint, and everything went swimmingly - well, until I fiddled with some of Audacity's settings and somehow managed to bugger up sound for the whole system.
But I persevered - even when I wound up RE-re-installing Mint - and here is the result!
http://www.robf.com.au/2011/09/25/episo ... rt-1-of-2/
I've got things to learn and still other things to think about, like whether I keep the recordings on my web server or look for podcast hosting (it'll have to be free for the moment). But thanks to Mint, I have a podcast! Woo!