Problem on boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint Remix_Eyeballs
Funny nick :) ....
It seems grub has been stuck at stage 1.5 (I think)
If files are ok the situation can probably be rescued if you follow the wiki
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _your_grub
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Can you use the live CD to look into /etc/boot/grub (on the failing hard drive) and tell us what you see.
Also open menu.lst and if possible post the contents here
phibxr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phibxr »

Same problem here on an Intel Mac Mini. I've tried wiping out the partition table, MBR and whatnot. Mint is the only distro that does this. Ubuntu/Xubuntu works fine, as do Zenwalk, OpenSuse and Fedora Core.

Any solution to this? Already tried reinstalling GRUB.
Husse

Post by Husse »

In this respect there is no difference between Ubuntu and Mint. I have to read this again and see if I can see what's wrong. Have very little time right now - wont be able to check until wednesday
Husse

Post by Husse »

Grub is sort of a mini operating system and is the same in all distros (different versions apart).
@ Remix_Eyeballs
Anything else installed?
Perhaps the partition numbering is off....
but why just for Mint
And also as already stated
Can you use the live CD to look into /etc/boot/grub (on the failing hard drive) and tell us what you see.
Also open menu.lst and if possible post the contents here
@ phibxr
Could you post the same here
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

What would really be interesting would be to see the /boot/grub/menu.lst file from a working Ubuntu install, and a failing Celena install.

Also, you might want to give Cassandra a try. Both Cassandra and Celena are based on Ubuntu Feisty 7.04 (they're really the same system with slight differences in the default packages). Logically they should both either fail or work, but there are others that have had Cassandra working while having trouble with Celena. And again, a comparison of the menu.lst might tell us something.

And then there's the standard verify the md5 checksums of the .iso file and burned CD just to make sure that is not the problem.

Aloha, Tim
phibxr
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problem on boot

Post by phibxr »

I still have this problem on my Mac Mini (intel) with Daryna. The LiveCD runs fine and installs without errors, but it gets stuck on Stage 1.5 (note that the same install disc, which is verified with checksum, installs and runs just fine on my HP).

This is, in fact, the situation with many distributions that use GRUB. The strange thing is that Xubuntu 7.10 works perfectly on the mac. Is there *anything* differences between Xubuntu 7.10 and Daryna concerning GRUB? At first I thought that the installer didn't overwrite the old GRUB completely, but after running Zenwalk (which uses LILO) inbetween, I could rule that theory out.

I could list and read the contents of /boot when booting with the LiveCD, but they looked alright to me. I also tried to reinstall GRUB a few times with no improvements.
Husse

Re: Problem on boot

Post by Husse »

I've just "rediscovered" something that can cause problems in "abnormal situations"
Go to /boot/grub/menu.lst
comment out (put ## in front of it) this line
gfxmenu=/etc/grub/message.mint
You get the old dull grub look, but increase the chances that it works considerably
This can be done from the live CD and you need of course to use sudo and - very important - do it on the disk not in the live CD file system

Return to “Installation & Boot”