Nvidia drivers installed : black screen at reboot

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Dr.m0x

Re: Nvidia drivers installed : black screen at reboot

Post by Dr.m0x »

Happened to me this morning while
I was converting an encrypted debian squeeze install into lmde. It seems nvidia-glx does not depend on the linux headers for your kernel. The module will not install correctly but you can only see the error in the terminal. If you install from synaptic, it will inform you the installation was successful. Once I pulled in the headers manually all was well.

Sent from my Cyanogenmod 7 phone.
djk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by djk »

Same problem. Tried all the suggestions, no luck using LMDE 201109-64 bit. My test computer is an MSI 785GT-E63 mb, 6G RAM, 8600GTS w/512M, AMD Phenom II X6-1055 cpu. Luckily the is a test machine, so no problem.

I consider this a major problem that shouldn't be happening. I've been having the same problem ever since LMDE came out the first time. The idea of a rolling OS is nice, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time just to get it running. I've been using Mint since version 5, and have been very happy!

I just got through installing the latest Debian directly using the netinstall CD. I then installed the NVidia drivers with no problems, and upon rebooting, normal video.
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

There's a lot of assumptions here about what should and should not be happening that aren't really warranted.

Mint doesn't write the nvidia driver, xorg, the kernel, or any of the other parts involved in non free driver installation.

I had a person on #smxi (irc.oftc.net) report constant issues with I believe an 8xxx series card, turned out there was some bug with the way ram was handled or something in the card that made it unusable for Linux desktops in general. I don't remember the specifics, but you can google it and see if you find the bug reports.

Any time you have issues that don't go away with video drivers, google the card number/brand plus the word linux and see if you get some bug reports. If you do, there's nothing your specific distro can do, the distro doesn't write any of the relevant code or driver. Trust me, if you had enough windows experience, you'd know that buggy video drivers aren't just a GNU/Linux problem, they are just a problem in general if you have a card or OS that isn't really well supported. (try getting xp sp3 AMD/ati driver issues resolved, I've found bugs that have existed for years, reported, and which are not only not fixed, they will never get fixed).

Rolling release requires a bit of common sense and an understanding of the core systems involved. Back in the good old smxi/sidux days, we had all these things fully integrated for almost pain free upgrades, still works but only if you use smxi/sgfxi all the way through.

But it's really not very complicated: new kernels often require latest driver, new xorg often requires latest driver, so the solution for rolling release is to always use latest driver, with a fallback / up to either latest beta/testing driver, or previous driver. ie, that's why sgfxi exists and runs the way it runs, it was developed and designed to deal specifically with the realworld issues of running rolling release, fairly cutting edge, linux desktops. amd/ati users, amd has repeatedly said they do not support rolling release, only a pre-selected group of distros, ubuntu, fedora/redhat. And even with that, there was a point when they didn't support fedora, which really annoyed the phoronix guy who ran amd/ati and fedora until he had to give up on that.

and so it goes, on and on, where it stops, nobody knows. What I do know is that users have to gain enough understanding of their systems to run a rolling release distro, if such a task is not something you want to do it, then don't run the distro, it's not like it's super hard, but it does require a bt more effort, nothing comes free.
wazntme

Post by wazntme »

Can you share what commands actually worked?

Return to “LMDE Archive”