LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking TESTING

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Gerd50

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking Testing - read here first-10/

Post by Gerd50 »

i can confirm your advice for dnet-common xircon. It was in the updates some days ago and i tried 'configure now' again but
without success. Had to remove the package afterwards to make the network work as usual.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 80#p474685
nimbvs wrote:After the Pidgin update to v. 2.10.0, I too can't connect and it says "Waiting for network connection". If I disable and then re-enable the accounts they connect. You can run pidgin with the --force parameter and it will connect fine.

Code: Select all

$ pidgin -f
There's also Debian bug #642117 reported about this issue.

It seems this is happening because Pidgin 2.10 doesn't work well with network-manager < 0.9 (in testing there's still network-manager 0.8.4, which I also have installed).

So all we have to do is patiently wait for the new network-manager to land in testing (or force an install from unstable, which I won't do just yet).
Happened to me with AIM, XMPP, Skype accounts. Thanks for the workaround.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Just a quick word of warning, this morning's update (25th Sep) caused a loss of internet connection (nm broken), but this was restored after a reboot.

I am sure you could all work that out for yourselves, but hey I might have saved you a moments panic if you read this first :)
xircon

Post by xircon »

:) I use WICD, so no problems at all.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

Sorry I hadn't been around so much this week, been getting ready for a local festival here. Thank goodness it just about over now.

I got bored and switched over to testing. I guess Clem wasn't given me enough bytes to keep up my endorphin level. :lol:

Only problem I saw last night was the wifi card went hard down after the updates.
02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

I didn't know the Linux way to get it to come back on so, I booted to Win7 turned it back on, left it on, then I booted back to Linux. The function keys didn't work to turn it off and on, but never have in Linux, been using the network manger icon for on/off but that didn't work until I did the reset it Win7, now eveything is working.

Not a Linux fix, but all is fair in love and war. :D
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

wyrdoak wrote:I didn't know the Linux way to get it to come back on so, I booted to Win7 turned it back on, left it on, then I booted back to Linux. The function keys didn't work to turn it off and on, but never have in Linux, been using the network manger icon for on/off but that didn't work until I did the reset it Win7, now eveything is working.

Not a Linux fix, but all is fair in love and war. :D
Same Atheros chip here. I simply rebooted and it came back permanently. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

No problems yet. Just to make sure I'm doing thinks correctly, is there anything I should pin so there will be little conflict between the Mint repo and ftp-debian. I'm thing dedian should be lower?

Package: *
Pin: release o=linuxmint
Pin-Priority: 700

Pin: origin packages.linuxmint.com

Pin: release o=Debian
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

wyrdoak, by default debian has a priority of 500, but that means that sometimes (and we had a few examples here in this topic: xchat, f-spot, perl, eventually i'm missing some) you will get incompatibilities with the higher mint priority;
the way you have preferences setted, afaik, you can loose the better mint font rendering :shock:
looks like a though one :lol:
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I'm trying apt-listbugs to try to help with some problems that might come up also. My last update had all 0000000 in the dialog boxes instead of words, until I rebooted. I don't know if that was the problem you mentioned or not? But all seems to be OK now.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

no, that issue is not related happened before
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

OK, so far the only differences in font I've seen is: http://www.4shared.com/photo/vnIIJwjD/Screenshot0.html
xircon

Post by xircon »

WARNING - Today's xorg updates trys to remove flgrx.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

oh ATI playing again :shock:
tho i have to say that even if they installed ok with nvidia, i feel the system a lot more slower now than yesterday: with compiz the windows drag, some of the effects are not smooth as they were, they gooo and goooo though the screen, in gdm when i click my username to input the pw, the box takes its time to open (i'm not talking about min or even sec, but before was a snap)
viking777

Post by viking777 »

zerozero wrote:oh ATI playing again :shock:
tho i have to say that even if they installed ok with nvidia, i feel the system a lot more slower now than yesterday: with compiz the windows drag, some of the effects are not smooth as they were, they gooo and goooo though the screen, in gdm when i click my username to input the pw, the box takes its time to open (i'm not talking about min or even sec, but before was a snap)
I have this problem too zerozero (with nvidia) even something as simple as using gthumb to look at photos causes xorg to use 50% of my cpu resources and slows things down to a crawl - terrible. Unfortunately tonight I also have a dreadful internet connection, so I cant do any research into it. Let me know if you find anything out please.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I managed to work round this by going to debian backports, downloading the old xserver-xorg-core then doing

dpkg -i --force-downgrade /full/path/to/xserver-xorg-core_1.10.4-1\~bp…
…o60+1_amd64.deb 
Then log out and in again.

I now have 32 'broken' packages listed in synaptic but at least this awful slow xorg problem has gone.

This is not exactly a forward looking solution, I know, but anything is better than xorg as it was before todays upgrade.

I must say that this is probably the most serious problem I have ever had with LMDE since I started using it (which is when it was first released). I hope it is only a temporary glitch on an otherwise nearly unblemished record.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Hmm, this is what i got with todays update

Die folgenden NEUEN Pakete werden installiert: (newly installed)
  libxcb-dri2-0
Die folgenden Pakete sind zurückgehalten worden: (kept back)
  gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly xserver-xorg-core  xserver-xorg-input-evdev
i have nothing set on hold. I remember in my Debian system xorg-core and xorg-input-evdev were not kept back and i have
to check the performance of the system. What could be the reason pks are kept back in LMDE but not in Debian?
wyrdoak

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking Testing - read here first-28/

Post by wyrdoak »

with today's update this it all that was held back:

The following packages have been kept back:
  mozilla-plugin-vlc vlc vlc-nox vlc-plugin-fluidsynth vlc-plugin-notify
  vlc-plugin-pulse
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

What could be the reason pks are kept back in LMDE but not in Debian?
Well it wasn't held back in my LMDE, it was upgraded and more or less stuffed it, so you can think yourself lucky yours were held back. I have now had to reinstall a backup image and pin the xserver packages manually, the previous solution of just downgrading xserver led to so many broken packages that I couldn't upgrade anything else. This is quite a big problem on my system.

And Wyrdoak, vlc wasn't even in todays update for me, I haven't had an update to that for 10 days, so I don't know where you are getting yours from?
xircon

Post by xircon »

No VLC here either. Currently at:

vlc --version
VLC media player 1.1.11 The Luggage (revision exported)
VLC version 1.1.11 The Luggage (exported)
Compiled by pbuilder on www.marillat.net (Sep  7 2011 07:49:08)
Compiler: gcc version 4.6.1 (Debian 4.6.1-9) 
This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public Licence;
see the file named COPYING for details.
Written by the VideoLAN team; see the AUTHORS file.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

well to be really honest i have to boot another system (not complaining here :lol: ) if i want to do something useful and fast, as viking said, it's the biggest problem i had since sept last year (this with standard LMDE)
downgrade is not really the kind of solution i like, but in this situation the other way around is a no-go as well (the version in sid is the same as in testing)

Return to “LMDE Archive”