Update Pack 3 Released! Update Information

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
proxima_centauri

Update Pack 3 Released! Update Information

Post by proxima_centauri »

Copied verbatim from the Linux Mint Blog, for full post read -> http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1836

Update Pack 3 was released as the “latest” update pack today. If you’re not using Linux Mint Debian, please ignore this post.

In Update Pack 3, two drastic changes occur:
  • There’s a brand new kernel 3.0
    The Security and Multimedia repositories are now part of the Update Pack itself.
Changing your repositories
The first thing you need to do is to change your Multimedia and Security repositories. Edit your APT sources by typing the following command:

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
Within this file, replace the following:
  • Replace security.debian.org with debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security
    Replace debian-multimedia.org with debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia
Your APT sources, should now look like this:

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free
Save and close the file.

At the time of writing this blog post, the latest version of mintupdate-debian is 1.0.4. From this version onwards the Update Manager is able to check your APT sources and tell you if they are properly configured.
  • Click on the “Update Pack Info” button
    Make sure “Your system configuration” shows up as green and doesn’t show any warnings or errors
    If you see a warning or an error, follow the instructions given and repeat the process until they’re gone.
During the update you’ll be asked a few things. One is quite important.. the new kernel will ask you where to install Grub. Answer with the location of your current Grub menu (which on most systems is “/dev/sda“).

EDIT:
There has been a lot of questions concerning errors with the gstreamer packages. Something like

Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_0.10.22-3_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
In that case, copy the package name, example, /var/cache/apt/archives/gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_0.10.22-3_amd64.deb
Issue this command

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_0.10.22-3_amd64.deb
Credit to zerozero from his answer for this -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p459733
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Update Pack 3 Released!

Again, copied verbatim from the Linux Mint Blog -> http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1836

FAQ

Why doesn’t the Update Manager alter my APT sources automatically?
We’re not confortable with updating your system configuration on your behalf. changing your repositories

Why wasn’t Update Pack 3 part of the latest LMDE release (201109)?
For three reasons:
  • 1. It became stable after LMDE RC was released. At this stage, our only concern is quality and testing. Upgrading to Update Pack 3 would have postponed the release by at least a month and another RC release would have been needed.
    2. It features kernel 3.0. It made sense to stick to a kernel we know works well for everybody until we get more feedback on the newer one. Because LMDE 201109 came with a 2.6.39 kernel, users can also now enjoy the choice between 2.6.39 and 3.0 and use the kernel which works best for them. If we shipped with kernel 3.0, it would have been much harder for people who wanted to downgrade.
    3. There will be new Update Packs all the time, at some stage we need to freeze a release and focus on stability rather than chasing new updates.
Why is the change the APT sources needed?
We used to snapshot the main Debian Testing repository for our Update Packs. We’re now also making snapshots of the Multimedia and Security repositories. This is to ensure a higher level of compatibility between the packages present in all the repositories.

What makes Update Packs better than simply pointing at Debian?
There are people in our community which help us spot and document upstream issues in Debian Testing. Update Pack 3, for instance, has been tested for weeks and we gathered feedback on it from people using the Incoming repositories. Some of these issues are now well documented, and others simply don’t occur anymore as we got the opportunity to fix them before making them available to you. By using Update Packs, you receive the same updates as other users, at the same time, with documentation and with less chances of breakages. Altogether, that makes you less likely to experience problems, and more likely to find solutions when you do.
craig10x

Help...SOS....I'm Lost!

Post by craig10x »

I never used: gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list in the terminal to edit my source list and need to do it now that update pack 3 is available for "latest"
I need someone to "hold my hand" as it were (lol) and get me through this so i don't mess it up.... :wink:

I got as far as typing that command into the terminal which brought up the source list...but now what do i do?
Am i suppose to just type directly into those multimedia and security source lines with the newer information and erase the parts of the line that no longer apply?
Or something else?

I see the tab that "saves" it...but how do i make these actual edits?
Last edited by craig10x on Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged topic.
proxima_centauri

Re: Update Pack 3 Released! Update Information

Yes, you actually replace the lines so your file looks exactly like this

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free
Afterwards, save and exit gedit. The instructions are all above your your reference.
nobby

Post by nobby »

I've updated my sources list per the instructions, updated the update manager, and now there's 441 updates available. However, when I go to "Update Pack Info" its reporting Current Update Pack Available = 2 (and latest Pack Used = 2), and there's no info about Pack 3 in the main area. Should the Current Pack Available be showing as 3? or does that only happen after you actually do the updating?
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Went through the update to Update Pack 3 with only a few problems (Note: the same problems occurred earlier with the same update in my "test" LMDE pointed towards the "incoming" repos):

1.When booting with the new Linux 3.0 kernel I immediately get the following error (doesn't seem to affect anything):
[ 0.378622] pci_root PNP0A08:00: address space collision: host bridge window [mem 0x000d0000-0x000dffff] conflicts with Adapter ROM [mem 0x000ce000-0x000d3dff]
2. I have VirtualBox 4.0.6 installed (latest versions in the repos) and the 4.0.6 vbox driver fails to install into the new 3.0 kernel during the update. I had to manually update the vbox kernel via the terminal:

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
That's about it. Otherwise, Update Pack and Kernel 3.0 seems to be working fine.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thanks...that worked fine! I simply deleted the two sources lines we are no longer using, and copied and pasted in the 2 new ones and "saved" and exited...
Then i checked my software sources on the update manager, and there was the new list!....I then installed the update to mint updater (new version) and it did that and the updates came up and ready to install...

Just have one more question before i do the updates, Clem mentioned (regarding the kernel 3.0 installation):
During the update you’ll be asked a few things. One is quite important.. the new kernel will ask you where to install Grub. Answer with the location of your current Grub menu (which on most systems is “/dev/sda“

Now, on my partition, grub is on: /dev/sda1

Is it going to ask me to type in that actual partition the grub is on? If so, do i type /dev/sda or /dev/sda1 ?
Just wanted to get that clear before starting the updates...
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

craig10x wrote:One is quite important.. the new kernel will ask you where to install Grub. Answer with the location of your current Grub menu (which on most systems is “/dev/sda“

Now, on my partition, grub is on: /dev/sda1

Is it going to ask me to type in that actual partition the grub is on? If so, do i type /dev/sda or /dev/sda1 ?
Just wanted to get that clear before starting the updates...

No need to type.
I normally use arrow key to move cursor , use space key to select ( you will see a * appear after hitting space key), then enter key to proceed.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thanks Wayne....i'm downloading the updates now....and keeping my fingers "crossed" :)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

craig, just to double check, are you absolutely sure that your grub is on sda1? that means that you have another OS's grub controlling mbr?
ausminter

Post by ausminter »

Does this update default to gnome 3 and do I get the option to use my current version of gnome?
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

zerozero wrote:craig, just to double check, are you absolutely sure that your grub is on sda1? that means that you have another OS's grub controlling mbr?
at the end...when it was doing the grub update for the new kernel it showed to selections...there was a box for sda and sda1 and the help note said if you are unsure which it is it best to check both boxes, which i did and then had it proceed....should that be ok zerozero?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

craig, can't go wrong that way i think;

ausminter, there's no UI change in this UP, the desktop you were using yesterday will be the same tomorrow
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

thanks zerozero....i figured that would be "safest" as it did suggest that :wink:
since i answered your post i rebooted, and the first thing i saw was that kernel 3.0 was now listed at the top of the boot menu and then the computer booted up normal and i logged in and now i am back on...very smooth!

When i bring up the system monitor and go to "system" it shows i am on kernel 3.0 and gnome 3.0 also it mentions on there...
So i should be good to go?
Otherwise the updates went very very smooth with no errors or problems...a couple of plugs in were removed (said they cause conflicts so recommended to let the system remove them)...

And update manager now has the nice Green check mark and says my system is up to date... :)
Can i breath a sign of relief now :lol:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

by the look of it i would say you did it :lol: congrats :wink:
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thanks (whew) and just to check...i brought up gparted and all my partitions show everything identical to the way they looked prior to doing the updates...
so i guess the help screen gave the right advice... :wink:
ausminter

Post by ausminter »

My update seems to have hung when it got near the end of the configruation process.
It says setting up wvdial (1.61-4) and it has stayed that way for over 30 minutes
Any suggestions on how I should handle this?

Also when the update manager configured grub it detected another version of mint on sda1 and seemed to assume that's where I want it.
I have this OS installed on sdb, should I get an option to install grub there (sdb) or has the update manager made the decision for me?
kenhall5551

Post by kenhall5551 »

Thank you for the instrutions on how to add the proper repo's for update 3. I edited my scorce.list in another distro years ago when I was REALLY new to Linux.
It was a disaster. So, I was slightly intimidated, But It wen't smoothly thanks to the Code help. Kernel 3.0 works great also.
Love Mint LMDE. Thanks again . :)
ausminter

Post by ausminter »

Anyone ?
ausminter

Post by ausminter »

I just killed the process and rebooted.
It has installed grub on the correct drive even though dpkg reported otherwise.
The new kernel is functional and everything seems to be working OK.
When I run dpkg again it gets to setting up wvdial and just hangs, so it seems to be leaving me with an incomplete upgrade.

Return to “LMDE Archive”