Update Pack 3 not in use

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
nobby

Update Pack 3 not in use

Post by nobby »

I changed my sources list per the update pack 3 blog post and updated my system using update manager. However, update manager now reports that the current available pack is 3, but the latest pack used by my system is 2. I've restarted update manager & rebooted my computer but it keeps reporting same thing. There are no other updates available to install. Am I missing something?

Prior to this I was running the 201108-RC version with no updates applied since the install.

Also I can't boot using kernel 3, just get a black screen with blinking cursor, but I suspect this is graphics card related.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Update Pack 3 not in use

Post by zerozero »

just a wild guess, but i would say that not all the updates were installed;
try with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
and see if you have more updates pending.
ausminter

Post by ausminter »

It sounds like the new kernel is installed so I'd say the updates have been carried out.
What happens during the boot process for the new kernel, does it load anything or just go straight to blinking cursor ?

edited to remove misinformation
nobby

Post by nobby »

Running apt-get update & dist-upgrade gives me the following:

The following packages have been kept back:
foomatic-db-engine
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

As someone else has pointed out in another recent post, trying to install that foomatic results in some other packages being removed, namely: cups, cups-driver-gutenprint, cups-pdf, mint-meta-common, mint-meta-debian. So I didn't think it was a good idea to forge ahead with that.

Funny thing is, prior to updating, update manager never reported that update pack 3 was available. This was after I had updated mintupdate to 1.04 and done several apt refreshes (& reboot). After I updated the 440 odd packages, update manager still didn't report pack 3 has being available. It was only after I left update manager open for a while did it start saying pack 3 was available (but not in use)

As for kernel 3, things happen during boot, as in lots of text going down the screen, and then it goes to the blinking cursor. Attached is my kern log if that gives any clues. Actually I can't seem to attach it, so below is last few lines:

Code: Select all

VIA 82xx Modem 0000:00:11.6: PCI INT C -> Link[ALKC] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 22
VIA 82xx Modem 0000:00:11.6: setting latency timer to 64
VIA 82xx Modem 0000:00:11.6: PCI INT C disabled
VIA 82xx Modem: probe of 0000:00:11.6 failed with error -13
VIA 82xx Audio 0000:00:11.5: PCI INT C -> Link[ALKC] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 22
VIA 82xx Audio 0000:00:11.5: setting latency timer to 64
Adding 2093052k swap on /dev/sdb8.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:2093052k 
EXT4-fs (sdb5): warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
EXT4-fs (sdb5): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro
device-mapper: uevent: version 1.0.3
device-mapper: ioctl: 4.20.0-ioctl (2011-02-02) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
loop: module loaded
w83627hf: w83627hf: Found W83697HF chip at 0x290
EXT4-fs (sdb2): warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
EXT4-fs (sdb2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: errors=remount-ro
EXT4-fs (sda7): warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
EXT4-fs (sda7): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: errors=remount-ro
fuse init (API version 7.16)
via-rhine 0000:00:12.0: eth1: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
ppdev: user-space parallel port driver
eth1: no IPv6 routers present
fuse exit
Kernel logging (proc) stopped.
nobby

Post by nobby »

I'm able to boot into kernel 3 now. I installed nvidia drivers following this post http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=82424, but substituting 96xx versions instead as I have an old graphics card. I had run sgfxi after the initial update but I guess there's some incompatibility at the moment.

However, mint update still reports that update pack 3 is available but not in use.
Screenshot-Update Pack Info - Update Manager.png

Return to “LMDE Archive”