Is it possible to update to package 3 with no kernel v3?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
khaos

Is it possible to update to package 3 with no kernel v3?

Post by khaos »

Hi guys. I've installed Linux Mint LMDE in my Acer Aspire d255. The system didn't recognised the 2nd core of intel atom and I have to remove linux headers/images 486 and to install 686 instead of them. So, when I changed the repos and tried to setup all updates/upgrades I see that the system didn't install linux headers for kernel 3! I have the 2.6.39-2-686-pae. Is that because I have changed from 486 to 686?
What I must do in order to check if the package #3 is installed succesfully?

In the Update Manager it says: Latest Update Pack used by this system: 3
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gerd50

Re: Is it possible to update to package 3 with no kernel v3?

Post by Gerd50 »

If the up manager says you have up3 you have up3 :) For kernel 3 you have to install the headers manually. It has nothing
to do with up3, it's a kernel image error.
khaos

Post by khaos »

Thanks for your answer but in the blog I read:

n Update Pack 3, two drastic changes occur:

> There’s a brand new kernel 3.0

It's not installed automatically? I'm confused. I saw that it's in package manager but I thought that it will be installed automatically
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

You wrote:
I see that the system didn't install linux headers for kernel 3!
Kernel 3 arrived in testing some weeks ago. The kernel image installed automatically but without headers. So the headers
must be installed manually.
khaos

Post by khaos »

Ok. If I understood correctly you mean that the packages are shown to package manager for installation but are not already installed?

Thanks
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Transitman »

khaos wrote:Ok. If I understood correctly you mean that the packages are shown to package manager for installation but are not already installed?

Thanks
The kernel is installed, but you have to go to synaptic and search for the Linux headers for 3.0.
When you input the term "linux-headers" hit search and it will bring up the list of headers for the 3.0 kernel.
Check each header you need to install and then proceed to install said headers.
Once it is completed, exit out of synaptic and reboot the computer, and once it gets to "grub", you should see a list of installed linux-headers, with the 3.0 headers being at the top of the list.
Let the computer boot normally, and once it is back online you should be using the latest 3.0 kernel.
khaos

Post by khaos »

Thanks for the help :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”