wrong hardware address for eth1

Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Important information

wrong hardware address for eth1

Postby pampelmoose on Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:32 am

Since the latest massive LMDE upgrade, I've got a problem with my ethernet connection.

I've got a pretty simple set-up : a Realtek 8111E chip, and an ethernet connection to my router which is a DHCP server.

Prior to the upgrade, the chip was recognized at eth0, and the "network connections" app connected automatically at boot-up.

After the update, the chip is now at eth1.

That's not a problem. The problem is that the computer gets the wrong hardware address at boot-up. So I have to manually run "ifdown eth1" and then "ifup eth1" after booting, in order to establish the connection.

Here's my /etc/network/interfaces file :

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp
hwaddress ether f4:6d:04:5a:23:86

That's the correct hardware address I've put in the file. But this file is being ignored at boot-up : eth1 gets assigned the wrong hardware address (which gets corrected as soon as I run ifdown eth1 and ifup eth1).

So some application is running at boot-up, and ignoring /etc/network/interfaces, and assigning the wrong hardware address to eth1. I've disabled "network manager" at boot-up, so some other script is the culprit.

So, in summary : eth1 works if it gets the correct hardware address, but something in the boot-up sequence is using the wrong hardware address. Any suggestions on how to repair this?
pampelmoose
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: wrong hardware address for eth1

Postby Gerd50 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:16 pm

Maybe with the update you've got the package dnet-common? If, then remove it and your network connection should be ok.
I believe in everything, except humans.

LM9, Debian Testing Xfce, Debian Sid Xfce - CPU/Amd64 2,6Ghz, Graphics/Nvidia 9600 GT, Sound/SB Audigy4 emu10K1
Gerd50
Level 5
Level 5

Postby pampelmoose on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:04 pm

Thanks a lot, Gerd. That seemed to do the trick.

[I still am having troubles with the new kernel (3.0.0-1). The "r8169" module won't get the eth1 up, even with the right hardware address. Now r8169 has been a problem with the Realtek 8111E chipset, and I have been using the Realtek proprietary r8168 module. But when I try to install that module with the new kernel, I get a stack overflow, and the computer freezes. So for now I'll just stick with kernel 2.6.39-2.]
pampelmoose
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Gerd50 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:49 am

Maybe you are missing the linux-headers for the new kernel?
I believe in everything, except humans.

LM9, Debian Testing Xfce, Debian Sid Xfce - CPU/Amd64 2,6Ghz, Graphics/Nvidia 9600 GT, Sound/SB Audigy4 emu10K1
Gerd50
Level 5
Level 5

Postby ellipse55 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:32 pm

I had the same problem, and was able to fix it using the information found in this post and its comments:
http://www.fantaghost.com/2010/06/eth0-mac-address-fixed-on-aa0004000a04/

More specifically, when I had my laptop and desktop both connected to my router, I was no longer able to ping them. They were invisible to each other. When I went into the setup page of the router, I saw that the MAC addresses of both computers were identical and set to "AA:00:04:00:0A:04". Obviously, this is not allowed. By uninstalling dnet-common and rebooting, the correct MAC addresses were used and everything was working fine again.

Best, Pierre.
ellipse55
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Ethernet