uuid label

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fred0843
Level 1
Level 1

uuid label

Post by fred0843 »

Reading about uuid Numbers on the Forum( about uuid) Is that what is called changing to labels ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: uuid label

Post by Husse »

Yes and no
labels can be anything, you can name your disk Favorite - that's a label, but UUID is also a label
See the wiki for more info
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _a_problem
fred0843
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fred0843 »

Yes that is the way I do it.I like to Multiboot some times it can be a pain.Maybe some one will come up with a easy to change the uuid Numbers.UUid maybe a better way to go.For single boot it is ok,but multiboot it can be a pain.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Not really multi or single boot, but as soon as you change something
Even a fresh install in an existing partition may change the UUIDs and you're out of luck
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

Husse wrote:but as soon as you change something Even a fresh install in an existing partition may change the UUIDs and you're out of luck
Yes I have experienced this also, a real pain indeed !

I am only hoping that they will forget about UUID in the future. Sometimes new system improvements aren't all ways good. For UUID it was one step forward and two steps back. Migraine headache time......ooooouch !
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint
Husse

Post by Husse »

UUID could have a use for portable disks - one step forward and the rest many steps backward

Return to “Installation & Boot”