Firefox Bin

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Red.Baron

Firefox Bin

Post by Red.Baron »

Process firefox bin doesn't close after I close firefox, listed as sleeping in System monitor when I am using FireFox and Zombie after I close it but you can't kill it. Shouldn't this process close when you exit FireFox
Closes if I logout and not there when I log back in until I use firefox again

using FireFox 4.0.1 on LDME (with default Gnome)
system is up to date with Mint update manager
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AdamS

Re: Firefox Bin

Post by AdamS »

YES

It should close once Firefox is closed.

I would classify this as ODD behavior.
Red.Baron

Post by Red.Baron »

Thunderbird seems to be doing the same thing how would one go about fixing this?
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

Not seen a PC do this yet.

Sure as hell not designed to do this.

I would say , remove them completely via synaptic.

Delete the config folders in home directory, they are hidden.

Then fresh install. Other then that, I have linux on around 660 PC,s now and have not seen this.

So no clue lol.
hozomean

Post by hozomean »

shortterm, killall -9 firefox-bin should help you clearout the zombie processes.
Secutor

Post by Secutor »

I'm having the same problem described above.
I reinstalled using the following steps:

1. as root, # killall -9 firefox-bin (it might take a few seconds for firefox-bin to disappear from System Monitor but killall works!)
2. use synaptic to uninstall completely (equivalent to # apt-get purge firefox).
3. in my home directory, rm -rf ./mozilla to completely remove preferences files, etc.
4. then I reinstalled firefox using synaptic.

Result: when I launch Firefox from the menu firefox.bin appears in the System Monitor but no browser window is opened for me. :(

My workaround was to install the Chromium browser (not Chrome).

It will be interesting to watch and explore this issue to see what is causing this. BTW I have not installed any of the Firefox tools like XMarks or NoScript so Firefox is, at this point, simple and as shipped from the factory.
HappyTimeHarry

Post by HappyTimeHarry »

Sorry to resurrect a somewhat old thread, but I was hoping someone might know why this is happening and I believe I bring some new info to the table.

I'm having the same problem as the OP. The only way to solve it for me has been to restart mint or kill firefox-bin's parent process (python /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/mintMenu.py --oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_mintMenu_Factory --oaf-ior-fd=22) but the problem returns each time I run firefox and killing that causes my menu to disappear and a prompt to pop up asking me if i want to restore it. Also while trying to find the cause I noticed that if i start firefox in a terminal with bash then I do not have a zombie left over when I exit firefox which leads me to believe that the problem is caused by the parent python process in the parentheses above. Somehow this bug only occurs when I launch firefox from the mint-menu. Any Ideas?

Admittedly this is only a minor annoyance, but it still bothers me that this zombie isn't being reaped automagically.

BTW, I'm using standard mint 9, gnome dvd edition if that matters (32 bit, not debian) and firefox 3.6.21.
slowman

Post by slowman »

I got this problem too. After I manually update firefox from version 5 to 6, it was happened all the time. But after I upgrade to pack 3, it was disappeared. Don't know why. :shock:
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

+1 as I have the same problem.

My system is: Mint 10 32bit. Firefox 6 browser. Libre Office 3.3

I've found that it works better (it still hangs occasionally) when you install firefox-gnome-support (for the version you are using) from synaptic.

FF 7 is supposed to be released September 27th (?) and I'm hoping that this is fixed in the new release. I think FF7 is the default browser coming in the 11.10 ubuntu (Mint 12) release.

Interestingly enough, I have had zero shut down problems with the mozilla nightly build browser, which as of this writing is v9.0a1.

EDIT: My Mint 11 system (32 bit) on my trusty old DELL Inspiron 6000 laptop with no mods from original release (FF 6 by default) does not have any of the FF shutdown issues.

EDIT 2: If you are having problems with FF in LMDE, I remember that Clem had posted something on x-chat to the effect of needing to back up all your bookmarked favorites, and removing your profile. Perhaps someone else could jump in with more specific details here...
Red.Baron

Post by Red.Baron »

Hope this helps smeone down the line

This problem cropped up again for me after my drive died and I did a brand new install from LMDE-201109 64. tried uninstall reinstall couldn't even open firefox would just say open session running even after reboot

finally unistalled ice weasel, which reinstalled firefox and everything seems to work now.

Expect firefox is always searching for update now?

RB

Return to “LMDE Archive”