Worth the switch?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
DrTeeth

Worth the switch?

Post by DrTeeth »

I have been spoilt by the Mint regular editions where everything just works.

It has been a totally different experience with LMDE where there are numerous little things that do not seem to work or are more difficult to achieve. It does not seem any faster or more responsive than the other mint releases on the PCs that I have tested it on.

I, for one, will be keeping with the regular releases unless somebody can come up with a good reason that I have not found.

DrT
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
twa

Re: Not so much a question...

Post by twa »

Hi,

LMDE constantly receives updates. Its ISO images are updated now and then but users do not require to re-install it on their systems.
Pros:

* You don’t need to ever re-install the system. New versions of software and updates are continuously brought to you.
* It’s faster and more responsive than Ubuntu-based editions.

Cons:

* Although it’s using Romeo for unstable packages, LMDE continuously changes as it receives updates and new software. Compared to a frozen version of Linux Mint which changes very little once it’s publicly released, it’s not as stable. Things are likely to break more often but fixes can also come quicker. For this reason, LMDE requires a deeper knowledge and experience with Linux, dpkg and APT.
* Debian is a less user-friendly/desktop-ready base than Ubuntu. Expect some rough edges.

:?
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

Hi TWA,

I am quite aware of what you have written. Cannot see the point of having something so rough around the edges when the other releases are so polished. This rush towards LMDE is worrying.

DrT
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

* Moved to the LMDE Open Discussion forum
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

If we accept that the change in base was going to happen at some point then we also have to accept the corresponding bumps had to happen too. I think the value of the switch has yet to be seen in its entirety and probably wont be apparent till the bugs get sorted and the user base gets past the learning curve. So I will have to bite the bullet and wait for a while longer. Enjoy

Return to “LMDE Archive”