NVIDIA driver not in lists

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jerry525

NVIDIA driver not in lists

Post by jerry525 »

Hi, I want to install Mint Debian on my daughters computer, she has a GeForce4 MX440 with AGP8x. I can't see it in the lists in the NVIDIA install guide, it as an older card?

Thanks for any help,
Jerry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
twa

Re: NVIDIA driver not in lists

Post by twa »

jerry525,
is Mint debian already installed with update pack 3 ??
if affirmative try this:
gavinhc

Post by gavinhc »

It looks like your daughter's card requires one of the legacy Nvidia drivers to function. According to the Nvidia website, it should be the 96xx branch. Information about those drivers in Debian can be found here.

There is a good tutorial for how to install these drivers in this thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=82424
jerry525

Post by jerry525 »

twa wrote:jerry525,
is Mint debian already installed with update pack 3 ??
if affirmative try this:
Thanks but I have a bigger issue. The monitor is goes through a DVI connection through the NVIDIA card. Unfortunately on live boot most OS's don't like this. I can't get a useable screen to even change resolution.. Salix, Parsix & open suze are the only ones so far that will work... I was suprised Mint wouldn't work as it's debian like parsix.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

gavinhc wrote:It looks like your daughter's card requires one of the legacy Nvidia drivers to function. According to the Nvidia website, it should be the 96xx branch. Information about those drivers in Debian can be found here.

There is a good tutorial for how to install these drivers in this thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=82424
I added the information for legacy drivers (nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx])
See my updated post for installation procedure - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 77#p478177
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can use the nomodeset xforcevesa boot arguments, if you can't get Linux to boot before installing the driver.

edit. I think it's wise to be very cautious with X server upgrades on this card. NVidia often takes ages to release a 96.xx driver updated for a newer X server.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
twa

Post by twa »

jerry525,
always used smxi/sgfxi for updating NVidia drivers and never had problems.
from the sgfxi manual:

Sgfxi currently supports ATI fglrx and Nvidia drivers. It also supports converting from or to xorg free drivers like ati, intel, or nv. Smxi uses sgfxi as its graphics driver installer engine, but simply adds some option support for users.

Sgfxi supports the following distros: Debian Stable, Debian Testing, Debian Sid. Current Ubuntu is supported. Arch Linux should also now be working. Not all features or options work for every distro, and Fglrx support tends to vary distro to distro and time to time.

The default driver is the driver that is installed if no arguments are used to overide it. Unless you card is too old and requires a legacy drivers, in which case the script will it determine for you.
When you run the script, it will stop, and tell you what driver it is going to install. You can accept that, or exit and redo it with an override option if you want something different.

regards

Return to “LMDE Archive”