Gnome 3.2 is out

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
thermodynamics4

Gnome 3.2 is out

Post by thermodynamics4 »

Hello guys, I was reading about the new release of Gnome, and sounds like a fine release and they post a few links:

http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/3.2/

http://developer.gnome.org/jhbuild/

Sooner than later we will be using Gnome 3, Can someone tell if Gnome 3 Works with Compiz?

Cheers!! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HardyH

Re: Gnome 3.2 is out

Post by HardyH »

The Gnome 3.2 shell tablet/touchscreen optimized toy computer environment for absolute noobs uses Mutter as window manager, you cannot use compiz with it, but you can use Gnome 3 fallback, the functionality limited Gnome 2 wannabe with compiz.
H
Christof999
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Christof999 »

HardyH wrote:The Gnome 3.2 shell tablet/touchscreen optimized toy computer environment for absolute noobs uses Mutter as window manager, you cannot use compiz with it, but you can use Gnome 3 fallback, the functionality limited Gnome 2 wannabe with compiz.
H
Yeah, Ive been using Linux for over ten years. I remember buying red hat 4.0 (colgate) on disk from the back of a PC book along with a copy of 2600 magazine and I can't wait for Gnome 3.2. I guess its not just for "absolute noobs". Some of us use our computers to do work and tasks, as opposed to just constantly tinkering with them and changing things around. Id rather spend time with my wife, or outside or something. I guess those are just things thats noobs do... Luckly Gnome 3 (I personally feel) allows us new linux whipper snappers to do so. As for compiz/mutter, personal preference again but I always feel like compiz hasn't taken its ritalin, mutter/gnome 3.2 feels a little more reasonable with the eye candy.

But hey whatever floats your boat, you can run Gnome 1.3 if thats your thing.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

HardyH wrote:The Gnome 3.2 shell tablet/touchscreen optimized toy computer environment for absolute noobs,,,
+1
Christof999
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Christof999 »

Habitual wrote:
HardyH wrote:The Gnome 3.2 shell tablet/touchscreen optimized toy computer environment for absolute noobs,,,
+1
Well I guess we will all be noobs together, since no one really has much choice, Gnome shell and gnome 3 are here to stay, Gnome 2 is dead. im happy about it.

I suppose someone could create another trinity project but for gnome, since you know, trinity is so successful and popular.

Pretty hilarious picture though.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Love the Pic!!! as for Gnome3.2--I'm saying-----ABOUT TIME!!!!!

Gnome2 was top-heavy with code that was a pain to work with...Gnome3 streamlines code so just about anyone that can edit a webpage can contribute.
thermodynamics4

I've downloaded the Gnome 3.2 iso from their site and tho I don't like all the change, some things and details are coming together. there's only one blue theme, a little ugly. But it's easy to use and i guess the real approach from this people is to use this on tablets. As mentioned before, there's some bad things like the really big icons and the shell is not the best menu, but...
I really like the interface graphics and a contrasts in the windows, there's a lot of work done in Gnome, I believe more work done than many other Ui's. I'll be the first to use gnome 3 when Debian have it. And of course when Mint put their version out....

I Believe Clem is going to make the job done with Gnome 3 and may not continue with all the support for Gnome 2.

Time will tell...
Last edited by thermodynamics4 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HardyH

Post by HardyH »

Christof999 wrote:
Habitual wrote:
+1
Well I guess we will all be noobs together, since no one really has much choice, Gnome shell and gnome 3 are here to stay, Gnome 2 is dead. im happy about it.

I suppose someone could create another trinity project but for gnome, since you know, trinity is so successful and popular.

Pretty hilarious picture though.
Sure we do have a choice. Just boycot Gnome and their usability nightmare until they create something sane again, until they give us the possibilty back to adopt the desktop to our needs, not vice versa. The best about Gnome 3 was that it made me move to KDE, won't use Gnome ( neither G2 nor G3) anymore, Gnome is dead for me, I don't need web apps, I don't need a virtual keyboard, I don't need integrated social networking notifications, I don't need improved cloud computing support, I don't need touchscreen gesture support, I need an easlyy configurable desktop for productive use.
H.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

I didn't notice a huge change in the overall scheme of things. The new file preview capability is decent; the contacts and documents applications are nice - but I don't see myself using them much. I think most of the changes will be more suited for developers, for instance with GTK+3.2.

It would be nice if they could focus on more user preference settings for configuring the system - this is what I am looking forward to most.
One of the better features of GNOME3.4 will be the ability to easily install, enable or disable GNOME Shell extensions.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

I agree with HardyH that there is no obligation on anyone to move to Gnome 3. But unlike him, I'm staying with Gnome 2 for as long as possible. As regards other desktops, from what I've seen of KDE in the past I'm not keen on it, but I will certainly try out LMDE KDE when it arrives. I've been flirting with LMDE Xfce, but though pretty good, at the moment it doesn't quite cut it from my point of view, mainly in regard to detailed functionality.
thermodynamics4

Maybe in the fallback state we could have good options to work with, and about the boicot, a really don't think so... I see Gnome 3 with a bright future.
About the "interface for noobs"... Well one thing is the way Gnome Team is doing the ergonomics in the interface, and other is the code that is behind the project, which suppose to be very straight forward.

ohhh, forget to mention: The process with more mb in ram is the shell with 58mb on it, overall idle state is 359mb...

Cheers!
Christof999
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Christof999 »

This is all so hilarious.

When KDE 4 came out it was the same thing, rattling sabers and furrowed brows. Like I mentioned earlier, they even forked the project, called trinity. Everyone was saying the exact same things, freaking out in the same way, saying "it was the end of kde" and they were going to "stay with kde 3 for as long as they could.

Now at KDE 4.6 barely anyone remembers trinity and everyone seems pretty happy with KDE 4 now. I used it, I have to say I thought it was pretty decent, just too windozey and tweaky for my tastes. I remember really disliking KDE 4.1, could barely do anything with it.

Just wait, by Gnome 3.3/3.4 most of all things fuss will have calmed down, and everyone will be asking how to get Gnome 3 this or that working.

As always history repeats itself. What I dont genuinely get is that in linux no one is forced to do anything and can literally install from more options than they can count, why complain about software progressing and changing? Did you really expect such a dynamic innovation to stay stagnant? Why complain when there is so much choice?
vortex59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vortex59 »

Christof999 wrote:Why complain when there is so much choice?
Well Christof999, I think THIS is the REAL PROBLEM: to choose! People comming from windows have no choice and, suddenly there are a lot of "distributions" and a lot of "desktops" and a lot of "windows managers", so what to choose? I must say that Clem and team made a great job making a user frendly distribution like Linux Mint (any flavour!). On my opinion Mint 10 was the best (only my opinion), but now I'm working daily with LMDE and I think it is also a good edition, but not really for newbies. Concerning Gnome 3 I certainly will try on a virtual machine until a really stable realease will arrive. So I can find the equilibrium between the past an present (maybe future) of linux desktops.
"A scientist is someone whose curiosity survives education's assaults on it". Sir Hermann Bondi
thermodynamics4

As said before, I see a bright future, for linux and for Mint. And Gnome 3 is a good option, only needs a little work... :mrgreen:
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

Fully agree with HardyH.
http://www.gnome.org/gnome-3/ -integrated messaging? No, not for me. I do not give a dime for that kind of achievements.
HardyH

Post by HardyH »

thermodynamics4 wrote:Maybe in the fallback state we could have good options to work with, and about the boicot, a really don't think so... I see Gnome 3 with a bright future.
About the "interface for noobs"... Well one thing is the way Gnome Team is doing the ergonomics in the interface, and other is the code that is behind the project, which suppose to be very straight forward.

ohhh, forget to mention: The process with more mb in ram is the shell with 58mb on it, overall idle state is 359mb...

Cheers!
Ergonomics in the interface, something like making everything work differently than in any other GUI? Like ctrl-click on a running programme, oh, sorry, there are no more programmes, only trendy apps, well, like ctrl-click on an running 'app' to open another instance, like pressing alt and 'Key above tab' to switch between different windows of one 'App', like Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Up/Down arrow to move an open window to another workspace?
That is no ergonomics, that's pure nonsense, I really wonder what drugs these people take, or if it was apple or M$ who payed them for developing such a piece of ( insert very very bad word here).
Gnome 3 is a complete catastrophe in regards of user-friendliyness and flexibility, it's liek a car where you have no possibility to adjust the seat, you have to strecth to reach teh controls if you don't fit teh car, and that's the wrong way, technoligy should adopt to users, not users to technology....
H
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Christof999 wrote:Some of us use our computers to do work and tasks
Yes, exactly. And this is precisely one of the reasons for not using GNOME 3...
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
synaptic_d

Post by synaptic_d »

I think Gnome is going in the right direction.

I was one of those people who tried Gnome 3/shell a few times and didn't like it. It was too different from what I was used to and I didn't understand the change. Then I decided to seriously give it a shot. I ran it on my main computer and started using it for my daily business operations. That basically forced me to learn Gnome 3/shell, how it operated, keyboard shortcuts, etc. After using it for even a short period of time I started to understand it's design and operation. Now I can navigate around Gnome 3 quicker than I ever could on Gnome 2. It's an efficient environment to work in. I could never go back to Gnome 2 as it's a step backwards. It would be like trading in my smart phone for a rotary dial phone wired to my house.

I decided to install it on my old netbook. 9 inch screen, 1GB RAM, older atom processor, etc. and to my surprise it worked well there too. It efficiently used what little screen real estate I had and also used less system resources compared to Gnome 2. I don't do as much with my netbook anymore but Gnome 3 has added a bit more value to it and may even extend it's usefulness.

Gnome 3/shell works well on my dual monitor desktop, my netbook, and if I had a tablet would work well with it. It's a design that works well on multiple devices. That's just not a good decision but a smart one when it comes to the future. Having a UI that works well on multiple devices allows me to function more efficiently and in the end makes my life a little bit easier.

I would like to see a bit more when it comes to system configuration and networking but I'm sure that will come in time. Gnome 3 is a complete redesign from the ground up. You have to start with the basics, focusing on reliability and stability, then move to additional functionality from there.

There will always be haters. I started out as one. I like change, but I like a gradual change. Moving to Gnome 3 was a big change, but once I gave it a chance, I was pleasantly surprised. Most of the people who are hating right now are people who either completely hate change or do not like to give change a chance. Over time more people who were resisting change will eventually give in and understand and embrace the change. For the people who never give it a chance or find out it's just not for them, there are other options. That's the great things about Linux, we have choice!
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

I agree that more people will like it in time. Even now there are already GNOME Shell fanboys trolling blog comments whereas 6 months ago it was as if the devil himself had taken over the GNOME Foundation and nothing good could come from it. People hate Unity and GNOME Shell largely because the UI design paradigm is different; it's got nothing to do with being better or worse. You have to think differently; work differently. It's for the same reason that tiling WMs never took off except amongst those with the patience (and monitor count) to make use of them.
HardyH

Post by HardyH »

The Gnome user survey 2011 is up and running: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=gnome_survey.
First reactions of the users can be found here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... px=MTAwMjY. The guys at Gnome.org should better duck and cover.....
H.

Return to “LMDE Archive”