C++ In Mint?

Contribute code & patches
Forum rules
No support questions here please

C++ In Mint?

Postby ryandburnett on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:40 pm

Hello All,

I'am currently re-learning C++, yeah I got pretty advanced then fogot it all when I went onto the web platform :( ... Now I'm restarting today from a C++ in 24 hours book! I'm going to go right back to Hello World, so I dont miss anything, good thing though is that I will fly though it, as I got up to writing a driver last time, shame the book has a huge tea stain over it :( .

Anyways, moving on, once I have learn C++ where do I go, I mean its all dandy making a program that runs in the console (terminal) but how do I actaully implement the GUI on a normal program? I know that games use engines, such as the Irrlicht for games, yet what would your average, say, MintUpdate in C++ use? Would you just use another language to render the GUI? (Yeah I never got this far in C++ lol)

Also, can authors contribute components for Mint in C++? Or is it limited to Python?

Thanks alot guys,

--- Ryan
ryandburnett
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: C++ In Mint?

Postby Kendall on Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:45 pm

Look up gtkmm, which is a GTK library for C++ that should be good for building user interfaces. Another option would be to write a front end for the application in Python/Glade.

Regarding contributions to Mint, you'd need to ask Clem about the specifics as to what's needed and how one should go about putting it together. Personally I prefer Python as the syntax is easy and there's an inherent degree of code uniformity which makes it easy to understand what other people are doing in their programs. That and it's a scripting language so it's easier to package and doesn't need to be compiled for multiple architectures.
Kendall
Level 7
Level 7

Postby ryandburnett on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:21 am

Thanks for the reply,

So your saying, either code the core components in C++, then the front end in Python and Glade? Or just learn Python and Glade. I think C++ is really for games after looking into it :?

So, is Python the core and Glade the Front End, or have I just mixed the two up? Also, have any recommendation on resources, e.g book and online tuts. As I have searched around and just found horriably outdated material, and I'm under the impression that these languages move on at an incrediable pase!

Thanks again,

--- Ryan
ryandburnett
Level 1
Level 1

Postby thenewguy on Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:51 am

C++ can be used for just about anything. If you're interested in GUIs, take a look at GTK+ (which I think is actually plain C) or the Qt library, which uses C++. You can also use libraries like SDL and OpenGL from a C/C++ environment.
thenewguy
Level 3
Level 3

Postby jesica on Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:25 am

i second Python

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Suicide-machine on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:23 pm

jesica wrote:i second Python

Python Idle :mrgreen:
Suicide-machine
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:01 pm

You'll never go wrong by re-learning C C++ . . . read read read ! :)

Basics step by step : http://www.howtoforge.com/learning-c-cplusplus-step-by-step

Everything : http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialC++.html
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby richyrich on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:02 am

@ jekonaa

Please do not post questions in other members posts, this is called hijacking . . next time, please start one of your own in the relevant sub-forum!

Code: Select all
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main()
{
  cout<<"HEY, you, I'm alive! Oh, and Hello World!\n";
  cin.get();
}

The safe way is cin.get(). This is a function call: it reads in input and expects the user to hit the return key. This command keeps that window from closing because the program is not done yet, it waits for you to hit enter. Including that line gives you time to see the program run.
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby ciancurran on Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:51 am

Lads & Lassies

i have to learn C for a course i'm doing, can anybody help me find a compiler.. pleeaase??
ciancurran
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tomac on Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:27 pm

ciancurran wrote:Lads & Lassies

i have to learn C for a course i'm doing, can anybody help me find a compiler.. pleeaase??

As for compiler - gcc of course ;)

Probably what you are looking for is some IDE. Try Code::Block, CodeLite, Anjuta, maybe Geany. You can also try to use compiler from command line (this way you can use any text editor to write code, and then compile code by "manually" executing compiler) - in this case you can try this tutorial (although it describes how to compile C++, not C program):

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~beechung/ref/gcc-intro.html
tomac
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DominikSt on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:33 am

For C I prefer Gedit+GCC, for C++ I use Code::Blocks!

An alternative to Code::Blocks would be Eclipse + C++ Plugin or Netbeans + Plugin.
DominikSt
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hinto on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:47 am

+1 for NetBeans.
I use it for Java and C/C++ development on Linux (and other platforms)
-H
What brought me to Debian was one-stop shopping.
What brought me to SID was apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade.
hinto
Level 6
Level 6

C++ In Mint?

Postby animaguy on Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:46 pm

I am personally trying to build a development environment for an open source animation program named Blender.

Blender is coded in C/C++ and python.

If you run out of stuff to do you may want to learn to download the source code via subversion, and study the code for ideas.

If you can establish the ability to develop for the program you can find paid work.

Many Blender developers find work by developing for Blender because it clearly establishes your expertise with those two languages.

Just a suggestion.
animaguy
Level 4
Level 4

C++ In Mint?

Postby animaguy on Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:52 pm

One other thing. i understand the argument against developing Linux Mint as a server. However, I believe that developing Linux Mint as an ideal development environment OS may have possibilities.
animaguy
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Code & Patches