LMDE 201109 Bad Signature

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
seatex

LMDE 201109 Bad Signature

Post by seatex »

Hello everyone,

I am a long time Mint user, but new here to the forums. I recently switched to LMDE last month. I installed the 201109 release and did not install any updates until Update Pack 3. I am only using the three Mint Debian update sources (as instructed in Update 3 docs).

Today was the first time I received an update since UP3. The file updated was debian-system-adjustments. I received no errors when the update installed, but now when I check for updates, I receive a bad signature error:

Code: Select all

W: GPG error: http://debian.linuxmint.com testing Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 07DC563D1F41B907 Christian Marillat <marillat@debian.org>
What should I do about this? I appreciate your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: LMDE 201109 Bad Signature

Post by zerozero »

can you please check

cat /var/log/apt/history.log
and look if debian-multimedia-keyring is among the removed pkgs in the last entries (it shouldn't, but your error shows apt is not reading the key)

anyway you can, in synaptic, do a search for it and mark it for install (or reinstall) and see if the error still persists
seatex

Post by seatex »

zerozero - I tried that. Here is the output...

Start-Date: 2011-10-05  11:07:22
Commandline: /usr/sbin/synaptic --hide-main-window --non-interactive --parent-window-id 52428836 -o Synaptic::closeZvt=true --progress-str Please wait, this can take some time --finish-str Update is complete --set-selections-file /tmp/tmp9NEA78
Upgrade: debian-system-adjustments:amd64 (2011.07.30, 2011.10.05)
End-Date: 2011-10-05  11:07:36

Start-Date: 2011-10-05  21:35:14
Commandline: /usr/sbin/synaptic
Reinstall: debian-multimedia-keyring:amd64 (2010.12.26)
End-Date: 2011-10-05  21:35:16
After reinstalling debian-multimedia-keyring, I checked for updates again. I am still getting the same bad signature error.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

can you please post the out put of

inxi -r
seatex

Post by seatex »

zerozero wrote:can you please post the out put of

inxi -r

Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
           deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free
           deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
           deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

seatex,
there's no problem with your sources.list, if you are still getting that error (sometimes those things go as they come :shock: ) the only thing i can remember is purge it and install again

sudo apt-get purge debian-multimedia-keyring

sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo apt-get install debian-multimedia-keyring
following this instructions
The first package to install is debian-multimedia-keyring.
Since Squeeze you can install this package with apt-get but you need to presse Y when the package ask what to do and do not press return.
hope this helps
seatex

Post by seatex »

I appreciate your assistance effort zerozero. Unfortunately I am still receiving the bad signature error. The system did have me enter 'Y' to confirm removal of the multimedia keyring file, but it did not ask for 'Y' confirmation to reinstall it. This error is annoying to me, and I don't understand why it is something that can "just happen". I'm never satisfied with that. I want to know why it is happening or might be happening and fix it. I'm hoping Clem will read this thread and chime in with his thoughts.

Thanks for helping me try to solve this.
seatex

Post by seatex »

I'm still waiting and hoping someone can help me resolve this error. Even clearing the apt cache hasn't helped. Has anyone else had this type of bad signature error with Mint Update in LMDE? It is really annoying, and I would greatly appreciate a solution.
seatex

Post by seatex »

Well, I finally found a solution, in case anyone else has this problem.

(Run as sudo)

apt-get clean
cd /var/lib/apt
mv lists lists.old
mkdir -p lists/partial
apt-get clean
apt-get update
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i'm glad you have that sorted out
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

Sorry, I could have helped but I got to see this a bit late.

I see you found
"This can be some sort of proxy your ISP may have in place (doesn't have to be your proxy) or anywhere else on the route between you and the repositories."
That (slight) variation on the workaround should see you ok. It is a known Debian/Ubuntu bug that only manifests in certain situations. Lucky you?! :)

Glad you got it sorted.

rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
themonkeymixer

Post by themonkeymixer »

just to throw in my 2 cents

i had already tried apt-get purge
then apt-get clean

it was moving the list file that fixed it for me

thanks for the info
mclavey

Post by mclavey »

that fixed the problem ...for me .