More Shiki - theme

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

More Shiki - theme

Post by tpprynn »

Not all my own work, but a version of the Shiki theme Mint had recently with a pastel grey instead of green, a panel background based on the border I've used, which is an edited version of Dust spliced with edited versions of the Shiki border buttons.

You add the panel background manually - this is deliberate rather than laziness, in case of wanting a different panel background. Once installed, the panel background is in /home/[username]/.themes/gtk-2.0/gtkrc/Panel - drag it onto the panel to add it, if you didn't know.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: More Shiki - theme

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

What is the name of the panel on the bottom? Where can I download it? How do I install it?
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tpprynn »

Hello. The panel is one I made from cropping a screenshot of the Dust window border. You can find this panel background in the more-shiki theme I attached above once it's installed. I'm no professional, but I like the idea of panel and window border matching, and have tinkered with making panel backgrounds from window borders for a couple of years, whenever I see one that looks like it could work. Aspects of this theme work with the panel background to give it the white text on dark look.

The more-shiki file attached to the first post is installed by dragging it once downloaded into the Theme tab of Mint or other Gnome distros' 'Appearance' application in your menu. Once installed if you look in your /home folder after pressing CTRL and H you'll find the new folder More Shiki inside .themes - a few more clicks and the panel image is a thin .png file called more-shiki-panel.png if I remember right. That does sound long-winded doesn't it... But it's not that bad once you're used to it. If I was on my Mint machine right now I'd just add the panel on its own here to save you some bother...
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Hmm...its not working correctly. I want to get the panel like yours(like drag and drop icons to the taskbar, like Windows 7 for example)
Here's a screenshot.
Last edited by sagirfahmid3 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tpprynn »

I see what you mean, but what you're referring to are just how I've added the icons to the panel for programs I use. I space them out free-hand to help me avoid clumsy clicks. Also as you use Mint 9 you haven't yet got the current Mint icon set (which makes any desktop look better), which is here:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/10/inst ... me-ubuntu/

or here:

http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Katya

They're really slick, well-drawn icons that can even make Debian look modern...

You can't see it in my screenshot but instead of the default MintMenu I also use the simpler Gnome menu applet (with a replacement icon made from Merlwiz79's avatar on this forum) which takes up less room and admittedly is accidentally a bit Windows 7-ish.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

LOL dude I have absolutely no idea what you just said :shock:

All I want to know is how do I get that panel?
I want to drag and drop my favorite programs on that taskbar, just like Windows 7(don't hate, I love all OSes just the same)

EDIT: OOPS! NEVER MIND LOL I FIGURED IT OUT!
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tpprynn »

Good, glad you sorted that out. I'd gone to bed.

I'm quite pleased with this also, though again only partially my efforts (quite handsome panel buttons though, if I do say so myself, made in Gimp):

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=145622

Return to “Your Artwork”