newer firefox?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tatewatkins

newer firefox?

Post by tatewatkins »

Currently LMDE is on firefox 5, is it possible to get the latest?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Endogen

Re: newer firefox?

Post by Endogen »

Download the newest version from the mozilla website and run it. thats it. But done this way, firefox doesnt find the flash plugin... dont know how to change that :-/
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I just had an upgrade to Iceweasel 7
tatewatkins

Post by tatewatkins »

Endogen wrote:Download the newest version from the mozilla website and run it. thats it. But done this way, firefox doesnt find the flash plugin... dont know how to change that :-/
That's not very user friendly then :/
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

I have to say, after using FF for more years than I care to remember, I finally decided to give iceweasel a go, and it's perfectly fine. Version in testing is 7.0.1-2 - which is FF 7.0.1-2 - so pretty much up to date.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
tatewatkins

Post by tatewatkins »

Where are you installing that from? Didn't realise it was firefox just a rebrand. Repo only has v5
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

If you are pointing to Mint Latest which is the default option, then you should be on Update Pack 3, which I think still has Iceweasel 5.0. Those of us who are on Iceweasel 7.0 are either pointing to Debian Testing or are using the package from Debian Mozilla. Pointing to Debian Testing isn't recommended because you can get breakages there. However, if you can't wait for the next Update Pack, you might want to try using the Debian Mozilla package to get the latest version of Iceweasel. It can be found at http://mozilla.debian.net/.

Hope that helps. :)
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Endogen wrote:Download the newest version from the mozilla website and run it. thats it. But done this way, firefox doesnt find the flash plugin... dont know how to change that :-/
I'm curious... did you try the Flash-Aid extension?
Endogen

Post by Endogen »

Monsta wrote:I'm curious... did you try the Flash-Aid extension?
Not yet, i just tried installing flashplugin-nonfree and mint-flashplugin and playing around with symlinks and the different plugin folders for firefox. Will give it a try and report back.

EDIT: Works fine! Have flash on firefox 7.0.1 now! GREAT! Thanks for the hint.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

You're welcome. :)
Arran

Post by Arran »

Endogen wrote:Download the newest version from the mozilla website and run it. thats it.
Is it possible someone explains me how to run such a file? That would be very great.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

In the case of firefox (and thunderbird) just use archive manager to extract the archive to wherever you want it (for example, your home partition) which will create a folder called firefox. Then to run it:

Code: Select all

~/firefox/firefox
You can create a laumcher or menu item to run it without having to go through the terminal. Just remember to use the full path, otherwise the installed version will run instead.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
Endogen

Post by Endogen »

Arran wrote:Is it possible someone explains me how to run such a file? That would be very great.
Extract the archive, doubleclick the file "firefox"
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

1) download Firefox from Mozilla, extract, create a shortcut (simplest way, since it autoupdates)
or
2) Use the mozilla.debian.net repo and install a newer version of Iceweasel
3) Also see Tech Patterns :: Switching from Debian Iceweasel to Firefox, permanently - http://techpatterns.com/forums/about1435.html
or
4) Use the Mepis repo which has Firefox 7
Arran

Post by Arran »

Hi craig evil
thanks for your response. how can I use this mepis repo with LMDE? This is probably the best way for me.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

I've been running the Mozilla Nightly builds of Firefox for months and found a simple way to make everything work, without having to use CLI for anything. it will also leave the old Firefox install in place, just in case something goes wrong. I don't use any add-ons or extensions with Firefox, so I don't lose anything by running these builds.

I grab the tar.bz2 file from here - http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... est-trunk/

I then close Firefox.

Click Menu > Home Folder > File System > right-click the opt folder and select Open as administrator.

Right-click the firefox folder and rename it to firefox-old.

Drag the tar.bz2 into the opt folder, right-click it and select Extract Here.

Once the new firefox folder has been set up, delete the tar.bz2 file from opt.

I can then open the latest Nightly build of Mozilla Firefox.

I do the same thing with the EarlyBird versions of Thunderbird, which can be downloaded here - http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... earlybird/

If I open the latest build and there are issues, it is as simple as deleting the build and renaming the folders, to get the previous versions working. Every now and again, I do find a Nightly build that is buggy, but I just report the bugs, revert to an earlier version and drive on for another 24 hours, until the next build becomes available.
CapitalG

Post by CapitalG »

what a pain :? glad i use chrome :D
Endogen

Post by Endogen »

CapitalG wrote:what a pain :? glad i use chrome :D
TRUE! Automatic updates guaranteed and you can always have the latest developer version, no problem...

Return to “LMDE Archive”