SOLUTION: Linksys AE1000 driver compatible w/ Linux Mint 11

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
maxim

SOLUTION: Linksys AE1000 driver compatible w/ Linux Mint 11

Post by maxim »

I'm not going to take credit for this but I got sick of Windows Vista on my HP tx1215nr (which is a piece of crap) so I decided I'd try to install a version of Linux. Ultimately I decided to install Mint 11 (yesterday). Being a novice at this, the install went smooth but my internal Broadcom Wireless LAN (?4311) wouldn't work (not a new issue; wouldn't work with Vista either, so I had to buy a USB modem (Linksys AE1000). I thought I would just pop it in and it would recognize it, not the case. So, I don't understand jack about this stuff but I spent a lot of time looking and looking and trying to sort out what file I needed to download, then once I got the file, how the hell I would get it to install.

Long story short: check out this webpage: <removed link to scam website; please use crosstie69's link below instead>

Great explanation of what to download, how to unpack it (it comes as a .tar.bz2 file so you have to extract it), and how to run it in terminal. After about 2 hours, I realized that after i unpacked it into the downloads directory, all I had to do was right click on it/ open with terminal, then when in the terminal, type make...let it do some stuff...then when that was done..type sudo make install and it would do some more stuff. then restart teh computer/ disconnect the ethernet cable and it should tell you that there are wireless connections available/ go to the network icon in the bottom right hand corner and select your network/ enter your password, etc.etc.etc.

I highly recommend following the person's instructions to the T. They really do work.

Hope this helps anyone who's trying to sort out how to use their Linksys AE1000 wireless USB modem with whatever version of Linux.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
crosstie69

Re: SOLUTION: Linksys AE1000 driver compatible w/ Linux Mint

Post by crosstie69 »

I couldn't get that link to work, is gone. I found this on the ubuntu forums and it worked like a charm, on ubuntu 11.10 and mint 12.
http://powerport.webs.com/linuxubuntu.htm
I followed that to the letter and it worked for me, very easy.

Thanks,

Tyler
POWERPORT

Re: SOLUTION: Linksys AE1000 driver compatible w/ Linux Mint

Post by POWERPORT »

Thank You using my site. The when original site went down. I remade the driver. I never knew so many people needed it.

Return to “Networking”