[SOLVED]VLC crash playing MKV(H264)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Laegnur

[SOLVED]VLC crash playing MKV(H264)

Post by Laegnur »

Hi!

I have a problem playing a video encoded as mkv with codec H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1).

I'm using the VLC, but it crashes every few seconds playing this video.

In the page where I downloaded the video, said me that it's because the "10bit" (¿?).

Can anyone help me with this?

Edit: I tried the totem and it crashed the same way...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
aljoriz

Re: VLC crash playing MKV(H264)

Post by aljoriz »

how about gnome mplayer?

Then go to Edit>Preference under Video select the output for x11. I am not sure this will work but its worth a try.
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

if that does not work also trying Gnome Mplayer and go to preference go to subtitles and uncheck "use embedded fonts (for mkv)" it seems that VLC has some issues with embedded fonts for mkv; you should also enable the outline and shadows for the sub for easy reading.

Hope this helps, this is the setting I use when watching mkv format animes
Laegnur

Post by Laegnur »

Hi!

I try the Gnome Mplayer and the settings that you two said, and it works. Thank you very much!
aljoriz

Re: [SOLVED]VLC crash playing MKV(H264)

Post by aljoriz »

No problem, I'm glad to be of help.
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

more tips:

if you prefer mplayer go to preference (wrench icon) go to subtitle and enable convert given subtitle to srt format.
grubbymits

Post by grubbymits »

Hi,

I installed lmde today and I am alos having similar problems playing back h264 mkvs. I have tried what was suggested above but it didn't work; I have tried vlc, mplayer and totem with them crashing with a segmentation fault, but mplayer does tell me this as it breaks:

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: filter video

vlc warns me about my audio codecs on startup:

Potential ALSA version problem:
VLC failed to initialize your sound output device (if any).
Please update alsa-lib to version 1.0.23-2-g8d80d5f or higher to try to fix this issue, but i believe my alsa lib is 1.0.24 already...

All players crash when subtitles are to be displayed. The only way I've got anything to work is to run mplayer from the terminal.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Return to “LMDE Archive”