making a ISO from installed system

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
viero

making a ISO from installed system

Post by viero »

I want to make a ISO from a installed system, A iso file that i can give to anyone, With all the settings and changes i have done to the installed system, How are the DEVS building ISO files? or changing settings?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: making a ISO from installed system

Post by tdockery97 »

You can make an installable iso file of your system using Remastersys. It gives you the choice of making a backup which includes your personal files, or of just the system itself that you can pass on to others to install.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Lendo

Post by Lendo »

Or APTonCD I think.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I could be wrong, but I think APTonCD only backs up installed packages.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
viero

Post by viero »

Remastersys is dead, Anyone forked it?
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

I have remastersys still installed on my Debian and after long seeking I found a root where are possible to download working .deb(s), see =>
remastersys packages :P
viero

Post by viero »

well is it possible to add and remove files on a ISO file?
anmys

Post by anmys »

viero wrote:Remastersys is dead, Anyone forked it?
Check out this https://lkubuntu.wordpress.com/2011/10/ ... ur-system/.

Regards.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

You might also try refractasnapshot and refractainstaller they are made for copying an installed system for reinstall.
Do note that it copies everything including files.
msm

Post by msm »

Elisa wrote:I have remastersys still installed on my Debian and after long seeking I found a root where are possible to download working .deb(s), see =>
remastersys packages :P
I have Remastersys installed as well. Easy enough to download and install but it doesn't work. Nothing happens when you click on the preferred back up methods.
inameiname

Post by inameiname »

Sadly Remastersys is dead, but fortunately, there is an up-and-coming fork of it called Relinux. Here is an article and a thread about it:

https://lkubuntu.wordpress.com/2011/10/ ... ur-system/

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1857376
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

You can customize the system as much as you would like, except for these limitations (most of which will be removed in a future release):
  • It only supports GRUB2, so no BURG or GRUB-Legacy
  • It must have an X11 display, since Ubiquity (the installer) requires X11 to run
  • You cannot use another installer than Ubiquity
  • The compressed filesystem size must be below 4GB (no workaround). It will tell you if it’s over 4GB (compressed), but I recommend that you keep your system size below 6GB (uncompressed).
  • It will install metacity, but next release, this limitation will be removed.
And this forum is about LMDE, you know :)
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

+msn:
if you habe buntu base Mint, move one level up to <karmic> folder.

In the squeeze folder, there are for Debian and Debian based Mint.

For others, do not trol that remastersys is dead, you ... (!@#$%^&*) :evil:
fsmithred

Post by fsmithred »

Here are links to the .deb packages for the current version of Refracta Snapshot. The -base package contains a cli-only version of the script and other files necessary for the gui version, so get both. If you want the isolinux menu to say Debian or Mint instead of Refracta, edit /usr/lib/refractasnapshot/iso/isolinux/live.cfg. If you want to exclude any files or directories, copy /usr/lib/refractasnapshot/snapshot_exclude.list to another location, edit the copy, and then edit /etc/refractasnapshot.conf to point to the copy.
Edit: Bad links removed. Use the link to ibiblio below.

This link has the current version (9.0.1-2, written in bash) and Meandean's last version (8.0.4, written in python, just one .deb file.)
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... asnapshot/

The latest version has been minimally tested with lmde and appears to work. (installed the mint iso in virtualbox and created a bootable iso.) Any feedback is appreciated.

Return to “LMDE Archive”