Customize behavior of shutdown and reboot in mintMenu

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wjstarrsiii

Customize behavior of shutdown and reboot in mintMenu

Post by wjstarrsiii »

Hello,

I have two laptops at home and one that I built for my parents that are used in a mixed Mint / Win environment. I have an iomega NAS that I mount various directories using CIFS in fstab. There is a known bug where gnome shuts down the wireless before the CIFS are unmounted, and this causes a lockup that requires holding the power button down for 5 seconds for each restart / shutdown.

I found a script online to find these mounted drives and unmount them. I wrote 2 tiny bash scripts to call this and then shutdown or restart:

sudo /etc/init.d/umountnfs.sh && sudo shutdown -r now

or

sudo /etc/init.d/umountnfs.sh && sudo shutdown -h now

I softlinked these to ./rs and ./sd , I am comfortable with the terminal and running these with alt-F2. I updated sudoers to allow me to execute these with no password.

My wife and parents are not so savvy. My goal is to tie the shutdown or restart buttons in mintMenu to these scripts so everything "just works" for them. The menu editor does not seem to provide access to the more "core" functions in the menu. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,

wjstarrsiii
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rj.adams

Re: Customize behavior of shutdown and reboot in mintMenu

Post by rj.adams »

You can customize the shutdown action by editing the corresponding script, either in MATE or CInnamon.

MATE:

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/system_management.py

Example: (search for "shutdown-dialog" and follow the indentation in the file closely)

if ( self.showQuit == True ):
                Button7 = easyButton( "system-shutdown", self.iconsize, [_("Quit")], -1, -1 )
                ##Button7.connect( "clicked", self.ButtonClicked, "mate-session-save --shutdown-dialog" )
                Button7.connect( "clicked", self.ButtonClicked, "/usr/local/bin/customShutdown.sh" )
Cinnamon:

/usr/share/cinnamon/applets/menu@cinnamon.org/applet.js
Example: (search for "ShutdownRemote")

//Shutdown button
         let button = new SystemButton(this, "gnome-shutdown", launchers.length + 3);        
         button.actor.connect('enter-event', Lang.bind(this, function() {
            this.selectedAppTitle.set_text(_("Quit"));
            this.selectedAppDescription.set_text(_("Shutdown the computer"));
         }));
         button.actor.connect('leave-event', Lang.bind(this, function() {
            this.selectedAppTitle.set_text("");
            this.selectedAppDescription.set_text("");
         }));        
         button.actor.connect('clicked', Lang.bind(this, function() {            
            this.menu.close();
            Util.spawnCommandLine("/usr/local/bin/customShutdown.sh"); // add something like this
            //this._session.ShutdownRemote(); // comment this out
         }));
Be careful with your edits or you will potentially lose your menu due to a syntax error or in the case of Cinnamon, possibly be unable to log-in. If this happens, you can always undo your changes by switching to a virtual terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F1), and issuing a

sudo apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon
or

sudo apt-get install --reinstall mintmenu
before switching back with a Ctrl+Alt+F7 (or F8).

Cheers!
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

@rj.adams: please do not post against old posts. Your reply is probably not relevant to the op as it could have been referring to a completely different version of mintmenu.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
rj.adams

Post by rj.adams »

remoulder wrote:@rj.adams: please do not post against old posts. Your reply is probably not relevant to the op as it could have been referring to a completely different version of mintmenu.
The post may be over a year old but the topic is still relevant as I found this thread while searching for how to accomplish the same thing. I should have noted this.

As to the version, it's been 3 years since mintmenu first included the code referenced so the OP may use a different version but it should work just the same.

I appreciate your concern but just because a thread is 1.5 years old does not make it irrelevant, especially when it is still available via search engines and refers to an application still shipped with Mint today.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

rj.adams wrote:just because a thread is 1.5 years old does not make it irrelevant
Please read the forum rules Section II point 2.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
rj.adams

Post by rj.adams »

remoulder wrote:Please read the forum rules Section II point 2.
With all due respect, Section II contains guidelines. If it was a rule, it might be accompanied by the auto-closing and possible deletion of unanswered support threads older than six months. In my opinion there is no harm in answering a question that is still relevant today. The OP might have moved on but I posted my response thinking it may be of help to others looking for an answer instead of just an open question (as I did). Yes I could have created my own thread but this is the one I found via Google and DuckDuckGo. Cheers.

Return to “Software & Applications”