Sound choppy in KDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
HTD

Sound choppy in KDE

Post by HTD »

When KDE starts, it plays a sound. It sounds very choppy, like paused several times during playback. What's wrong? When I play sound with Amarok or Audacious, it's OK, but when a program is doing something (CPU > 80%) sound starts to stutter badly. The same happens even during intense disk operations with low CPU usage. I have no such problems in GNOME. When an app takes 100% of CPU - sound just stops and returns when CPU is free.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sumski

Re: Sound choppy in KDE

Post by sumski »

have you tried different phonon-backend? There are phonon-backend-xine(unmaintained and no longer supported), phonon-backend-gstreamer and phonon-backend-vlc, so try to experiment with them
HTD

Post by HTD »

Thanks!

I used vlc backed before, I replaced it with gstreamer and it works as charm! If only all KDE problems were as easy to fix I would switch to KDE one day :)
josefg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by josefg »

Is there something corresponding for Gnome? My skype's startup sound sounds like its passing through the distorter of a 90's heavy metal band.

Return to “LMDE Archive”