slackness...(solved - divin in now...)

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sabresofparadise

slackness...(solved - divin in now...)

Post by sabresofparadise »

gulp, I am fascinated by slackware and yet I have next to no knowledge of running linux/unix at that or any level, insane i know but it would be a brilliant teacher If I am willing to learn - don't wanna mess up my current MInt OS so would it be wiser to dig up an oldish machinerie and attempt to download slackware and then pray...they say once you get into slackware you never go back - I will tie a thread around me in case i get lost in its labyrinths...wish me well...yikes...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: slackness...

Post by xenopeek »

You may want to start with installing it in Virtual Box? That is how I try any new Linux distro. If I think it is for me, only then will I go ahead and install to my actual harddisk in multi-boot with other distros.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

You could also run it live from their CD, or you could (if you have enough hard drive space, reduce the size of a partition to install Slackware into..
  • Or just add another drive (bootable, from your GRUB menu)
As well, read the Slackware information on install etc..
http://www.slackware.com/install/
--you might not need all the CDs (6 in total) or the DVD, but if you can do so, it is probably best to get the set (OS + applications etc..)

I haven't used Slackware for a long time, but it looks like it installs via pre-configured sets, eg desktop, developer etc, just as the older Suse Linux did
  • One can always do a custom install, but you have to watch what you don't install (take out), and you likely have to look over their sets (pre-configurations) to see what is being included, in order not to get a mangled installation
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

Haven't been a "slacker" for some time, but if you are going to dual boot, do not let install put boot manager in mbr. Slackware ( I think) still uses Lilo ( not Grub) and it will not detect Linuxmint. You may think your system is broken. :cry:

Put Slackware Lilo in root partition of install, return to Linuxmint and run 'sudo update-grub'. Slackware will be detected.

Safest is to use Virtualbox 1st.

cheers,
rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
sabresofparadise

...thanks for the feedback, trawling the 'net for educational purposes re the above - gulp- quite daunting as I am not a programmer or have any expertise in computing...most of the techno gabble is way beyond me , gosh, what have I let myself in for... :shock:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

sabresofparadise wrote:...thanks for the feedback, trawling the 'net for educational purposes re the above - gulp- quite daunting as I am not a programmer or have any expertise in computing...most of the techno gabble is way beyond me , gosh, what have I let myself in for... :shock:
Techno gabble? Well, if we can clarify anything specific, just ask :wink:
sabresofparadise

will do Vincent, thanks for your time I have slax on a live cd at mo, just messing around with it till i ready to dive in deep... :!: ...o

Return to “Non-technical Questions”