Linux on Toshiba Satellite

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
calymea
Level 3
Level 3

Linux on Toshiba Satellite

Post by calymea »

Hi, does anyone know about installing Mint on a Toshiba Satellite laptop, i've tried and it doesn't work and I have since found that Linux of any kind is not considered a supported OS by Toshiba. I have heard that there is a BIOS update that makes it possible. Anyone know about this? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
craig10x

Re: Linux on Toshiba Satellite

Post by craig10x »

I have had all kinds of linux distros on several toshiba laptops i have owned over the past 5 or 6 years...and i am sure there are many others here as well...
is this a very ancient model? Can't figure why you would have a problem...in fact, i'd say that toshiba's are VERY LINUX FRIENDLY....
Perhaps that being new to Linux that you are not familiar on how you install it?...

All you have to do is, for example, burn an iso image of mint 11 on a dvd disc and just set your boot sequence in your "boot menu" that you see when you boot up your computer, to boot off the dvd drive first...that way, after you pop in the disc while you are in windows and then do a re-start, the first thing your toshiba will do is boot off the "live dvd disc" where you can even play with mint first, or just go ahead and click "install" to start the process going...

You can either dual boot with windows or wipe windows completely and only run mint (that is what i do..don't run windows anymore...lol)....
I'm sure others here can give you even more technical assistance of you need it :wink:
fpd

Post by fpd »

My mostest bestest favoritest Linux-for-the-new is Ubuntu. And... Mint is the darling offspring of Ubuntu!

They did it right! Here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

Once you get Ubu up and running, you will understand how to install the other Linux flavors, like Mint.

Questions? Ask, please!
calymea
Level 3
Level 3

Post by calymea »

I know how to install any distro, the problem, it won't allow me to!the bios doesn't support it! Apparently there is a bios update that fixes the problem and what I want to know is does anyone have any info on this?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Make sure you choose the exact model number, once at the correct downloads page, choose BIOS from the drop down list, follow their instructions step by step on safely updating the BIOS.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais ... %20Support

Return to “Beginner Questions”