Linux Mint DEBIAN KDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
nerofromde

Linux Mint DEBIAN KDE

Post by nerofromde »

Hi Linux Mint Team

now Im waiting a loooong time for LM DEBIAN KDE...

please tell me... please tell us all... when will it be probably ready...

greetings from a kde fan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cudayne

Re: Linux Mint DEBIAN KDE

Post by cudayne »

I don't know if i would really trust it at the moment. As I stated in another post Debian seems too have enough problem ATM with just gnome. Sorry no offence it just seems that the broken packages straight from an install an from what we could see no straight single easy way too fix it seems too take the usually minty polish off.

Add the large amount of stuff with KDE there could be lots more problems too try too fix. I for one would rather see KDE Debian work right an be done right then rushed cause of demand.

I know my son wanted too play with KDE so we downloaded an installed Kbuntu 11.10 after our Mint Debian try an it seems too be running good for him an he is tweeking an plaing with lots of stuff on it.

Just be calm an wait for it good things are worth waiting for. An if your in a hurry for it though I don't know how to do it myself heck i couldn't fix Debian but i am sure there is a way somehow too put the kde desktop on mint Debian some how.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

* Moved to LMDE Open Discussion forum

There is no news on the available of a LMDE KDE respin, other than one should be being worked on. Check the Linux Mint Blog regularly for updated news.
http://blog.linuxmint.com
nerofromde

Post by nerofromde »

sorry mint, but tooo much waiting, bye bye... welcome kubuntu, its really pretty and the boot image is much better than the (in my view) ugly mint theme ;) bye
zaenalarifin

Post by zaenalarifin »

I use LMDE with gdm3 and, with kde in options.
first: I install "xdm, wdm, kdm". with default="wdm"
second: I install "kde-full"
then restart the pc
use "kde" at "first login" time for choice.
on my pc...is no problem.
sorry for.... my language english.
nb :
-to cange = in terminal (root) write: "dpkg-reconfigure kdm"
Hypersphere
Level 2
Level 2

Yes! LMDE-KDE Re: Linux Mint DEBIAN KDE

Post by Hypersphere »

LMDE with KDE would be a winning combination. KDE would be especially well suited for a Mint product because of its elegance, polish, and customizability. In addition, LMDE is faster and more responsive than Ubuntu-based Mint, while KDE requires more system resources than other DEs. Therefore, the pairing of LMDE and KDE could be an ideal counterbalancing combination. Of course, anyone has the freedom to install KDE on another DE-version of LMDE. However, having a dedicated LMDE-KDE release would obviate the need for a second OS and include the bonus of a Mint-tailored KDE. Mint can only do so much with its finite resources, but perhaps they will see the advantages of LMDE-KDE and decide to produce this ultimate spin.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Yes! LMDE-KDE Re: Linux Mint DEBIAN KDE

Post by KBD47 »

rjrich wrote:LMDE with KDE would be a winning combination. KDE would be especially well suited for a Mint product because of its elegance, polish, and customizability. In addition, LMDE is faster and more responsive than Ubuntu-based Mint, while KDE requires more system resources than other DEs. Therefore, the pairing of LMDE and KDE could be an ideal counterbalancing combination. Of course, anyone has the freedom to install KDE on another DE-version of LMDE. However, having a dedicated LMDE-KDE release would obviate the need for a second OS and include the bonus of a Mint-tailored KDE. Mint can only do so much with its finite resources, but perhaps they will see the advantages of LMDE-KDE and decide to produce this ultimate spin.
I've got Mint Debian KDE. I just took Mint Debian Xfce and added KDE Standard to it, within a few minutes I had it. I'm not the only one who has done this. If you are gutsy enough to fool with LMDE then installing KDE onto it is not hard :-)
KBD47
Hypersphere
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Yes! LMDE-KDE Re: Linux Mint DEBIAN KDE

Post by Hypersphere »

KBD47 wrote:
rjrich wrote:LMDE with KDE would be a winning combination. KDE would be especially well suited for a Mint product because of its elegance, polish, and customizability. In addition, LMDE is faster and more responsive than Ubuntu-based Mint, while KDE requires more system resources than other DEs. Therefore, the pairing of LMDE and KDE could be an ideal counterbalancing combination. Of course, anyone has the freedom to install KDE on another DE-version of LMDE. However, having a dedicated LMDE-KDE release would obviate the need for a second OS and include the bonus of a Mint-tailored KDE. Mint can only do so much with its finite resources, but perhaps they will see the advantages of LMDE-KDE and decide to produce this ultimate spin.
I've got Mint Debian KDE. I just took Mint Debian Xfce and added KDE Standard to it, within a few minutes I had it. I'm not the only one who has done this. If you are gutsy enough to fool with LMDE then installing KDE onto it is not hard :-)
KBD47
Yes, you are absolutely right, and being a "gutsy fool", I have already done this as well. ;) However, I noticed one small glitch in my setup, which seems to be reproducible. When I run the Kmix/Phonon speaker test, which should give an audible response, e.g., "front left; front right", there is no sound, despite the fact that the audio seems to be working otherwise. This audio problem did not occur when I installed KDE12-KDE. In addition, there are some Mint customizations to the main edition of LM KDE that are missing when you install KDE yourself. Finally, having a KDE edition would result in a "pure" KDE installation without elements from Gnome or Xfce. Sometimes, trying to remove these seemingly extraneous packages from another DE installation can create problems.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Yes, when I add additional desktops I never try to remove anything, I figure it is not really hurting anything unless you have a problem with hard drive space, and removing things can get you into trouble, especially with Debian.
Sorry I can't advise you about the audio problem.
KBD47
darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix »

witch version of kde you get? 4.8.2 ?
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

drumBE wrote:witch version of kde you get? 4.8.2 ?
My KDE says 4.6.5

Return to “LMDE Archive”