Wasn't fallowing the news... What DE can we expect in Mint?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
veggen

Wasn't fallowing the news... What DE can we expect in Mint?

Post by veggen »

As the title says, I wasn't really following Mint development lately, so could anyone bring me up to speed? What environment should we expect to see in Mint? Also, what time is it reasonable to expect the next version? Yes, I know Katya is young, but I'm not familiar with Mint's release cycle (what is it anyway)? I have took an interest in Mint about the time Unity kicked in (and I'm sure I'm not original in that regard).
Please don't mind so many probably blunt questions... I'd just like to understand Mint's direction better.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Wasn't fallowing the news... What DE can we expect in Mi

Post by proxima_centauri »

Linux Mint 12 “Lisa” will be released in November this year with continued support for Gnome 2 but also with the introduction of Gnome 3. The radical changes introduced by the Gnome project split the community. At the time of releasing Linux Mint 11 we decided it was too early to adopt Gnome 3. This time around, the decision isn’t as simple. Gnome 3.2 is more mature and we can see the potential of this new desktop and use it to implement something that can look and behave better than anything based on Gnome 2. Of course, we’re starting from scratch and this process will take time and span across multiple releases. Until then, it’s important we continue to support the traditional Gnome 2 desktop. We’re likely to release two separate editions, one for Gnome 2.32 and one for Gnome 3.2. We’re also working in cooperation with the MATE project (which is a fork of Gnome 2) at the moment to see if we can make both desktops compatible in an effort to let you run both Gnome 2 (or MATE) and Gnome 3 on the same system, either in Linux Mint 12, or for the future.
http://blog.linuxmint.com
veggen

Post by veggen »

Wow, that was fast! Thanks!
4Foot

Post by 4Foot »

Thanks from me as well. For both the question and the answer. I was looking for that exact info.

4Foot

Return to “Non-technical Questions”