How come so few users?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mariomiy

How come so few users?

Post by mariomiy »

I visited you front page and found only thousands of users, when I expected millions.
Are they really so few, or is it just that people do not register when they install Linux Mint?
I currently am a Ubuntu user, but am considering migrate to LMDE.
Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: How come so few users?

Post by proxima_centauri »

Linux Mint's userbase is nowhere near the size of Ubuntu, but there are a few of em :D

Welcome to the forums, if you have any questions or concerns about LMDE, please ask.
Please read over the release notes before installation.
Arran

Post by Arran »

Hi mariomiy & all other readers!

Once you installed your LMDE and made the first steps and like it too, you can start spreading the good news to your family, friends, work mates and general aquaintances by word of mouth by twitter and facebook as an Email-Payoff and in personal discussions. I have in just 2 weeks already convinced three people, one of them an ardent Windows supporter. And please never forget to mention this forum. In my case also the German Mint forum.
beer-in-box

Post by beer-in-box »

It must be because of users like me. I am a new Linux user but I have a theory about what the situation is.

One person installs Linux and signs up to a forum (Say Ubuntu forums). Then he starts to get tired of Ubuntu and switches to Mint. He doesn't see any reason to sign up to here because he thinks that any problem on any Debian based distro can be solved in the same way. There shouldn't be a big difference between Ubuntu and Mint. Considering that all Linux distros use the same kernel, this is a fair thought and he doesn't sign up to Mint forum.
And the other day, he wants to jump to OpenSuse. Because the main idea is the same, he doesn't feel he needs to sign for an OpenSuse forums. And, he can copy the error message and google it and find the solution! Some of Linux users don't even feel that they should sign up to a forum. Google the error and find the answer to the guy who had the same error :)

Besides, some people like to use forums in their native languages and if they have an active forum, he doesn't need to sign up to this forum.

Likewise, I am going to switch to Ubuntu. I may sign up to Ubuntu forums, but I don't need it (At least that's what most people think). Because I feel like I will be welcome here even if I don't use Mint, and most people know about Ubuntu too.

To sum up, the forum member count doesn't reflect the user count :)
yaye

Post by yaye »

Another possibility is that, with Flash, Java, DVD playback and the multimedia codecs already installed, users of Linux Mint have fewer problems and don't register. I gave a co-worker with some IT experience a Linux Mint DVD and told him about Synaptic, System Profiler and GUFW. He installed Mint and has his Internet connection and printers configured. He was amazed that he didn't have to search for drivers for any of his equipment, and that he is notified of updates to the OS and apps. He is an example of a person using Mint but not yet registered on the forum.
Beardedragon

Post by Beardedragon »

Then there are those users who feel they do not know enough to help other people out, which is what a Forum does. Believe me, this comes with experience and time. When you find a solution, even if it is on another Distribution's Forum, you should share it with us. There may come a time when you cannot find the answer and if you already belong to this Forum you can readily get an answer. Join us and put your number up there with the rest, sooner or later Linux is going to rule.
thatsallurspaceships

Post by thatsallurspaceships »

People tend to ask in Ubuntu Forums for help. Nothing wrong with this, but i do hope some of them will look into Mint Forum aswell. I might add the quality of help might be in LinuxMint even a little better, i don't know why. Most people want help as fast as possible tough, which could cause even more trouble sometimes. :)
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

thatsallurspaceships wrote:i don't know why. Most people want help as fast as possible tough, which could cause even more trouble sometimes. :)
There's always the Mint IRC channels for real time help :)
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
thatsallurspaceships

Roken wrote:There's always the Mint IRC channels for real time help
will try this, thanks :) i should've seen this on welcome screen...every day :roll:
lexon

Post by lexon »

I would guess you have unreasonable expectations or your reality version of what you think Linux Mint should be like.
Be advised, Linux is around 1 percent of the PC marker, maybe a slight more.
Apple, probably 5 percent and you know who, about the rest. Many try use use a larger number of Linux PC's based on the reality they live in.
I am a user since 2003 and rarely ask a question as most of the time, others have the answer. Over seventy and still cruising.
I still use Mint 7 because it works just fine for me. I have learned some years ago how to search these forums and Google.
About the only thing that does not work out of the box with Mint is using a webcam and I suspect very few here use a webcam or don't care about them.

L
Drogo

Post by Drogo »

Linux Mint has a lot less people on the support forums than Ubuntu, yes.

Maybe that says more about Mint's setup than it's popularity ;)
xerces8

Post by xerces8 »

On a related note: the About web page claims:
Started in 2006, Linux Mint is now the 4th most widely used home operating system behind Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac OS and Canonical's Ubuntu.

On what numbers is that claim based?
psql

Post by psql »

I started today to be a new user, I'm looking for a new distro(I'm going to stop using Ubuntu soon) I guess more people will do the same.
thatsallurspaceships

looking through the ubuntuforums there are many threads with linux mint in title...it really seems to be the official forum...same like here...just more threads...not that they wouldn't have been resolved here already
w2ibc

Post by w2ibc »

as other have said, people who use LM dont always sign up for forums.

I know one guy personally here local who uses LM and didnt sign up here cause he has no real reason to. (cause if he ends up with some issue he usually asks me or just googles the problem)
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

better way would be to have an inbuilt software, which automatically submits data to mint database. Something like ubuntu friendly, but done automatically from behind the curtain) or immediately after installation, like registration.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

sunewbie wrote:inbuilt software, which automatically submits data to mint database
Many people are opposed to software that 'phones home' and such actions may even be illegal in certain countries depending on the data transmitted.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

remoulder wrote:
sunewbie wrote:inbuilt software, which automatically submits data to mint database
Many people are opposed to software that 'phones home' and such actions may even be illegal in certain countries depending on the data transmitted.
hmm, then it can be made optional.

I have a doubt. Many softwares requires free registration (in windows) and need 'activation key' to activate. Windows has it, free software (technically non-free, but free of cost like Fresh download) requires activation key. They give 15 -30 days before you can register. Is this system illegal?

It is a different issue, if people do not like it.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

sunewbie wrote:it can be made optional
It could but then users could also just disable or ignore it so kinda defeats the point!
sunewbie wrote:Many softwares requires free registration
You state this then go on to mention Windows which isn't free at all or require registration - it just needs an activation key which is different. However this is not the same as transmitting data back to a server automatically and really has nothing to do with your original suggestion.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

remoulder wrote:
sunewbie wrote:it can be made optional
It could but then users could also just disable or ignore it so kinda defeats the point!

Agree
sunewbie wrote:Many softwares requires free registration
You state this then go on to mention Windows which isn't free at all or require registration - it just needs an activation key which is different. However this is not the same as transmitting data back to a server automatically and really has nothing to do with your original suggestion.
Suggestions can change because of valid arguments. You made a valid point, so i modified it :)

I think I have stuck on the idea to get a better number of mint users, though I have differed to my original suggestion.

I was talking of concept of free activation and just gave windows and fresh download (download manager) as an e.g. :)

This is my learning exp.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”