about the mint release cycle

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
ledah

about the mint release cycle

Post by ledah »

Been using linux for a while and there is one little thing that i don't like and is the release of another version every 6 months (rolling distro if i'm not wrong), yeah i could go with a LTS but i feel like i'm losing a lot of neat features, so this might have been answered a million of times but why not move to a yearly release, what i've learned about linux kernel is that if you update it you'll might break your system or stop a app from working, i think that mint could release a stable main version at the first semester and a release candidate (mainly experimental) the last one, e.g: mint 11 stable one, the next release will become a rc from the 12, i think that could help at least is what i think
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: about the mint release cycle

Post by xenopeek »

As you say:
- You don't want to use the LTS because you would be "losing a lot of neat features";
- You don't like "the release of another version every 6 months";
- And you propose to move to a yearly release cycle.

This is already available. You don't have to upgrade every 6 months; each release is at least support for 18 months. So you can just upgrade only once per year. Nobody is twisting your arm to upgrade to Linux Mint 12 when it comes out in November--you can happily continue to use Linux Mint 9, 10 and 11 as these all remain supported (at least) until the release of Linux Mint 13 :wink:

There would be no benefit to the end user to move to a yearly release cycle. You currently have the option keep the same version for 3 years, 1,5 years, 1 year or 6 months--and anything in between--with full support for security and bug fixes. Your proposal would only remove one option.
Foodfast04

Re: about the mint release cycle

Post by Foodfast04 »

Hello,ledah, I'd same problem which about you wrote but I'm thankful to xenopeek for his reply, his post really help me and now I'm clear now. Thanks once a again.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”