SOLVED: CUPS Adding Printer Forbidden. Linux Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
WhatUsernameIsFree?

SOLVED: CUPS Adding Printer Forbidden. Linux Mint Debian

Post by WhatUsernameIsFree? »

Hi all,

I'm new to Mint, am using the Debian version after learning the hard way why constant change is bad from Ubuntu. I hate computers and use them because I have to, not because I like them :lol:

I'm just trying to set my system up again, so adding a printer via CUPS. I've logged into localhost:631, click Administration, click Add Printer, type my system username and password in and then it brings up a page 'Forbidden'. Cleared the cookies, tried a few times since and it just says forbidden. If I click Find New Printers, it says No Printers Found.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? Normally I can just go through the series of links and add my HP Laserjet Network Printer.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: CUPS Adding Printer Forbidden. Linux Mint Debian

Post by Fornhamfred »

Have you tried adding the printer the standard way i.e. thro the control centre, printing, add printer and follow the prompts?
WhatUsernameIsFree?

Re: CUPS Adding Printer Forbidden. Linux Mint Debian

Fornhamfred wrote:Have you tried adding the printer the standard way i.e. thro the control centre, printing, add printer and follow the prompts?
Haha, I've only ever used CUPS, that certainly appeared to have worked!

I'll print a document or two just to check it.

Thanks
proxima_centauri

Re: SOLVED: CUPS Adding Printer Forbidden. Linux Mint Debian

Post by proxima_centauri »

* Moved to LMDE forum
bkovacs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bkovacs »

Must be nice to have a printer that works with this edition!
martinwprior

Post by martinwprior »

Just checking. CUPS wants the user "root" and root password. Not a user and his password.
WhatUsernameIsFree?

martinwprior wrote:Just checking. CUPS wants the user "root" and root password. Not a user and his password.
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I was using my user name and password, since that's what Ubuntu wants and that's the system I'm used to. I'll try remember that for future, but since it's currently working, I'm reluctant to try 'fix' what isn't broken.

Thanks
Satellite

Post by Satellite »

type my system username and password in and then it brings up a page 'Forbidden'
System -> Administration -> Users and groups -> Advanced Settings -> User Privileges and enable 'Configure printers' for your account. Log out and log in back. It's pure logic. Read documentation. In other words - grant yourself the appropriate rights in order to configure something in Linux.
Just checking. CUPS wants the user "root" and root password. Not a user and his password.
No way. Read carefully what it asks for.

Return to “LMDE Archive”