On screen keyboard in Mint 12?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
beanaroo

On screen keyboard in Mint 12?

Post by beanaroo »

I am curious as to what the standpoint on on screen keyboards is for Linux Mint 12?

I've been using Mint since 9 and found it much more stable and "complete" than the ubuntu releases.

I've come into a conflict on my tablet PC when it comes to OSK. Ubuntu uses onBoard (which I consider ugly and lacking in features) whereas Gnome 3.2 makes use of Caribou. When gnome-shell is installed in 11.10, and OSK is activated in Universal Access, both keyboards are started, and tend to conflict.

So my question is what the approach from the Mint developers would be? Caribou seems much more promising than onBoard and there are few alternatives that really match standards.

caribou

maliit

florence

The Gnome 3 environment is very touch friendly and I consider text input rather important. I'm not getting any hopes up but would like to know if there's any current debate on it :)
HardyH

Re: On screen keyboard in Mint 12?

Post by HardyH »

Great, now everyone can see your password when you enter it on screen.
What sense does this make on a desktop machine?
H.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Some new laptops are having a touch screen. You can use that screen when the laptop is closed (just like a tablet). And then it's very easy to have a keyboard.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
HardyH

Post by HardyH »

AlbertP wrote:Some new laptops are having a touch screen. You can use that screen when the laptop is closed (just like a tablet). And then it's very easy to have a keyboard.
And it's very easy to spy out your password with that on screen keyboard.
H.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Yes but when you are alone, why care about that? You aren't always surrounded by other people. And you can also use the normal keyboard for the password and then close the laptop and use touch.
HardyH

Post by HardyH »

AlbertP wrote:Yes but when you are alone, why care about that? You aren't always surrounded by other people. And you can also use the normal keyboard for the password and then close the laptop and use touch.
This would make a on-screen keyboard completely unnecessary....
H.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I had to invent reasons why an on-screen keyboard would be easy. You are basically saying that nobody needs it. When that was the case, this topic wouldn't have been started.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

:shock:
HardyH

Post by HardyH »

AlbertP wrote:I had to invent reasons why an on-screen keyboard would be easy. You are basically saying that nobody needs it. When that was the case, this topic wouldn't have been started.
Well, what I was trying to say is this : Why would someone use a virtual keyboard that uses up lots of screen space on a machine which has got a physical keyboard. What sense does it make on such a system?
Don't want to discuss if it makes semse to use shiny, trendy toy devices for internet consumption that don't have a physical keyboard here, as the nieche for these products is already occupied by other OSses like android or iOS, which are much better suited for such devices than Gnome 3 with it's hunger for powerful 3-d graphics cards and Kernel 3 with massively higher power consumption than older kernels. in my eyes, Gnome 3 shell is the least needed GUI available (besides it's stepbrother Unity which is also unneeeded).
H.
pbfup

Post by pbfup »

ON screen keyboard is necessary when your keyboard keys are not working like mine.i cant type fiv from my lap key board.what
if any password include the number fiv.how can we type it.what if the password for mint log in contain number five.
thats why we need a virtual keyboard.
till now i couldn't get a good on screen keyboard for mint metacity.in metacity matchbox virtual keyboard hardly works without title bar and always on top option. cant use gnome cuz title bar disappears in gnome.
love to see caribou in mint 12

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”