[solved]no joy with update

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
houndhen
Level 2
Level 2

[solved]no joy with update

Post by houndhen »

I have installed Mint Debian 32 bit XFCE. Rebooted and tried to update. Got this error as have a lot of people:

Code: Select all

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_0.10.22-3_i386.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstxvid.so', which is also in package gstreamer0.10-plugins-really-bad 0.10.22-0.1
Read and followed the thread:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=185&t=83305
Did this from terminal:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
then from terminal did this:

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_0.10.22-3_amd64.deb
then from terminal I did this:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
and I still get this:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_0.10.22-3_i386.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstxvid.so', which is also in package gstreamer0.10-plugins-really-bad 0.10.22-0.1
and the update manager is showing that I have 347 updates that will take up 318mb.

I am going in a circles and don't know what to do next. Is there a thread that I missed that I need to look at?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Thanks,
Harold
odo5435

Re: no joy with update

Post by odo5435 »

houndhen wrote: Got this error as have a lot of people:Code: Select allE: /var/cache/apt/archives/gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_0.10.22-3_i386.deb
houndhen wrote:then from terminal did this: Code: Select allsudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_0.10.22-3_amd64.deb
The file you tried to fix was for the 64-bit version and you have the 32-bit version. Try

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_0.10.22-3_i386.deb
If that doesn't work hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will come forward to help.

If you want to download the rest of the updates uncheck the 'gstreamer' file in Mint Update which will instruct Update to ignore this problematic file and allow you to get everything else.
houndhen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by houndhen »

odo5435 wrote: The file you tried to fix was for the 64-bit version and you have the 32-bit version. Try

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_0.10.22-3_i386.deb
I think I tried to update before changing the repositories. I will probably just re-install and change repositories before trying to update and see how that goes.
Thanks,
Harold
debianalyze

Post by debianalyze »

I did and got that message

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

(gedit:2459): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.SHZE3V': No such file or directory

(gedit:2459): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:2459): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.SYFB3V': No such file or directory

(gedit:2459): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:2459): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.TEU92V': No such file or directory

ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

When you do the update after changing the repos the first update is just mint updater then it offers you a big list and just deselect the "gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad" and every thing installs OK then.

After doing those updates if you click on the updater again it offers you the "gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad" and you can update it then

edit: and then go in synaptic and remove "kexec" to get rebooting working correctly
houndhen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by houndhen »

ukbrian wrote:When you do the update after changing the repos the first update is just mint updater then it offers you a big list and just deselect the "gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad" and every thing installs OK then.

After doing those updates if you click on the updater again it offers you the "gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad" and you can update it then

edit: and then go in synaptic and remove "kexec" to get rebooting working correctly
Thanks for the help. Sure glad I am not totally new to Linux. Did those first two things and they seemed to work. Looked in Synaptic and did a search for "kexec" and the only thing that shows is "kexec-tools" and it is not installed. I would guess that the rebooting shouldn't be a problem, then?
Thanks,
Harold
archvortex

Re: [solved]no joy with update

Post by archvortex »

Thanks odo5435!! The force-overwrite flag worked magically. :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”