Programming Language

Contribute code & patches
Forum rules
No support questions here please

Re: Programming Language

Postby xenopeek on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:16 am

Whatever you are most comfortable with; there isn't a "best" programming language. Looking at some successes:
- Minecraft was written in Java and is available on Linux/Apple/Windows and now also Android and I think some consoles also;
- Eschalon RPG series are written in C/C++ I think, and again available on Linux/Apple/Windows;
- HTML5 games some say are the future for web gaming.

So It depends on what you want to do also. Web? Go with HTML5. Usable on mobile devices? Go with Java. Large or multi-player games? Go with C/C++. I think you picked the right three programming languages to choose from :wink:
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Cythes on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:02 am

IMHO:
I started with [X]HTML/ CSS, The reasons I like it are simple:
- Very easy to get the hang of
- Instant gratification (Just open your file in a web browser and see what you did)
- Its a very useful tool to learn

I think I will be learning HTML5 here soon, I'm not to sure if there will be an XHTML5 I sure hope so since I'm used to XHTML (Even though they are virtually the same just one is more strict... I prefer the strictness)

CSS Is a side language to HTML that lets you add style to your websites, It is easy to use and understand even though it is easy to bork but still easy to fix.

I am also making an attempt to learn Java Script but to many its use is not always clear / used right. When used right it can be just as powerful as any standard programing language, only you dont need anything special to code it. (At least that I what I picked up so far. The likes of which I am suprised I retianed my knowledge /learned as much as I have)

-- Also I'm starting my "Forge Project" which is a Local Host Web Design testing environment. More details on that later :D
-Cy
Cythes
Level 1
Level 1

Location: I come from the net. Through people, places and systems to this place.... MINT!

Postby Oscar799 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:15 am

I had to delete the first post - it was spam
The replies contain useful information so I'm leaving them in place
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" Husse
Registered Linux User #511789
Oscar799
Level 18
Level 18

Postby DominikSt on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:38 am

I started with Python: Easy to learn, it's working under each plattform an can solve almost every Problem...Then, I started with Java, nice language too, a bit harder too learn, but very powerful...Right now I am learning C, which is quite hard.
DominikSt
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Code & Patches