LMDE hangs at shutdown/reboot

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
untamed

LMDE hangs at shutdown/reboot

Post by untamed »

Hi all,
I recently installed LMDE on my laptop and I'm noticing the problem that the os is freezing at shutdown/reboot.
I already made some debug and this is heppening when I have the wireless connection active.
If I'm cable connected (wireless disabled) the system is NOT hanging at shutdown/reboot.
The wireless module I'm using is iwlagn.
This is what I see in the logs before reboot:
Oct 23 17:17:17 tumulilande kernel: [ 211.103240] r8169 0000:0c:00.0: eth1: link up
Oct 23 17:17:17 tumulilande kernel: [ 211.103553] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth1: link becomes ready
Oct 23 17:17:25 tumulilande shutdown[2274]: shutting down for system halt
Oct 23 17:17:27 tumulilande kernel: [ 220.529928] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
Oct 23 17:17:28 tumulilande kernel: Kernel logging (proc) stopped.
Oct 23 17:17:28 tumulilande rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="5.8.3" x-pid="1287" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] exiting on signal 15.
Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zombie
Level 3
Level 3

Re: LMDE hangs at shutdown/reboot

Post by zombie »

Same problem?
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70798

I'm nilssn on the debian forum...
untamed

Post by untamed »

yes, it's really that problem...
zombie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zombie »

I wish I could help you. It's a very annoying problem.
The workaround for me is to manually unmount the NFS shares before reboot/shutdown, or to disable network manager and use the interfaces file instead.
I would like to report it as a bug, but I don't know which package is causing the problem.
untamed

Post by untamed »

Yes, it's really annoying and manually umount before each shutdown/reboot is really uncomfortable.
I'm thinking to replace the reboot and shutdown commands with a script that umounts first and then reboots/shuts down... but I would like a bug revision... :(
barryp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barryp »

Hi folks,

I have solved this problem on my laptop running LMDE using the instructions here:

http://whereofwecannotspeak.wordpress.c ... or-reboot/

I know it says Samba, but it works for nfs.

The idea is that you make a symbolic link to umountnfs & run it earlier in the shutdown process. Run this as root.

Code: Select all

ln -s /etc/init.d/umountnfs.sh /etc/rc0.d/K15umountnfs.sh
ln -s /etc/init.d/umountnfs.sh /etc/rc6.d/K15umountnfs.sh
This will create two symbolic links to the umountnfs.sh script, one in runlevel 0 (shutdown) and one in runlevel 6 (reboot). The links have a “K” prefix to let the init system know that the script should be called with “stop” as an argument, and they have a priority of 15 to ensure that they are run before avahi-daemon and dhcdbd are stopped, which I believe was what was causing my problem.
I hope that this is helpful.

Edit

Uh-oh! this worked once, now shutdown & reboot are stalling again. I have deja vu, I seem to recall this being an issue in LMDE before that was resolved (with an upgrade?). Right now I can shut down safely with Alt+SysRq+R+S+E+I+U+O,
reboot with Alt+SysRq+R+S+E+I+U+B.

Best wishes for 2012 :D

Barry

Return to “LMDE Archive”