The passing of one of our own

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

The passing of one of our own

Post by rivenathos »

It is with great sadness that I share the passing of one of our forum members and a friend to many of us, Robin. His original postings a couple of years ago as "dixiedancer" when he was first struggling with his Dell B110 had several of us helping out and making sure his first forays in the world of Linux were positive ones. We were happy to assist him while he was on the road traveling with his Papa across the US in an 18-wheeler. Robin never lost the faith in Linux, nor his faith in general. He advocated free-software and Linux everywhere he went. Imagine what he could have accomplished if he was able to do more...

Robin passed away on the afternoon of October 23. He was only 18 years old.

His blog http://robinsrantsandraves.wordpress.com/ chronicles much of his recent life, as well as his last few days. His Papa has kept his friends updated after Robin was unable to do so.

Robin will be missed in the lives of many Linux Mint and other Linux users. I consider myself fortunate to have been one of his regular email and IM friends.

I am sure Robin is already installing Linux Mint on computers in heaven. In fact, I know he is. :-D He always carried Live CDs.

Rest in peace, Robin. The world of Linux is a lesser place without you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
manny

Re: The passing of one of our own

Post by manny »

Even I never had any contact with Robin I'm feeling his lost. Any member of the Mint community is like a family member to me too. My sympathies to family and friends. God bless him.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I've followed and enjoyed Robin's posts for a very long time. He will be greatly missed. My condolences to his family and friends. The Linux community has lost one of it's strongest advocates.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I will miss our times sharing here in the forums.
God bless his family!

in my prayers, and my best regards, Richard
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

I always found Robin's posts to be mature and thoughtful. He was a great community member, his presence will be missed.
My condolences.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

My heart is 'heavy' at hearing of Robins passing.

Followed Robin around the country - through his posts and blog - with his Papa and an 18-wheeler.
Followed Robins posts, here and in Crunchbang Forums.
Followed Robin's Blog - was 'bookmarked'.

Robin was a good 'kid' and wise beyond his years.
He had asked the Mods to remove his 'account' on this Forum, a few weeks back; stated a terminal-illness as his reasoning.
He was only 18 years old.

He was a joy to know ... I am fortunate enough to have called Robin friend. :cry:
odo5435

Post by odo5435 »

I always read Robin's posts regardless of the topic because they always showed insight and maturity. There was also an air of cheerfulness and optimism in everything he wrote, I was amazed to discover he was so young and am now stunned to learn of his passing.

What a sad, sad loss.

Requiescant In Pace.
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

I am shocked to hear today that Robin has passed away, such a very sincere and honnest young boy. I was reading his blogposts and it is clear he is a friend of everything that breaths and anything under the earthy skye. I keep Robin in my heart and wish all the strength and confidence for his family and specially his papa.
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

Such awful news.

As many have already said here Robin was a huge asset to the community, his family and the world as a whole.
Always kind, compassionate, helpful and definitely wise beyond his years.

A very sad loss to us all.

Rest in peace Robin.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Very sad, Robin will be greatly missed.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Condolences to his family.
Last edited by lmintnewb on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

A lot of thought went into his post, RIP Robin
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Very, very sad!
Robin was an example of courage and inspiration, and a brilliant mind.
God bless his soul.

My deepest condolences to his family.

npap
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Robin was a very brave young man, he has been in my thoughts all day. My sincerest condolences to Robin's family and friends. It was a real pleasure having Robin on the forum, he was wise beyond his years. Robin contacted vrkalak and I on the 6th and asked that his account be closed. After sending and receiving another pm from Robin, I respected his privacy and his wishes and did as he had asked. I made sure to give Robin my e-mail address in case he should change his mind and want to post on the forum again. I was in shock this morning when I read this post.

Rest in peace, Robin.

Respectfully, exploder
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

As a father I know that even the thought of the loss of one of your children, is an enormous emotion; one of inconceivable depth.

In reading Robin's blog, I see wisdom beyond years and "feel" the words he used to express his love for his family and his love for life itself.

My heart felt condolences go out to Robin's family. Thank you for sharing him with us.
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

I knew that he was terminally I'll, but I didn't expect him to pass away so soon.
Though I didn't know Robin for so long, (we exchanged a few PM's on UbuntuForums)
he came across as an exceptionally talented youth.

My thoughts and prayers goes out to his family. - Rev 21:4
linXea

Post by linXea »

He was a nice guy, always polite and never caused any problem. He will be missed around here. I hope his family got to say a proper goodbye. My deepest condolences to his loved ones.

Respectfully,
linXea
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

This is very sad news indeed, though I have spoken little to Robin, I enjoyed reading his posts and will miss his presence on the forum. I would like to extend my condolences to Robin's Family during this time of grief and hope the pain will heal quickly. God bless Robin and his family.

Marc Santos
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

Robin was very helpful.

I got his reply on the topic Regarding Mint 9 LTS Isadora on 22nd Sept 2011. He must be very ill, when he replied. I cant believe that he is no more.

His (and Vincent's) suggestion changed my perspective about LTS version and on Linux as a whole.

I pray and offer my condolences from the bottom of my heart.

May his soul rest in peace

I will miss him.

Return to “Open Chat”