Make a commerical for linux mint.

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Osd1000

Make a commerical for linux mint.

Post by Osd1000 »

ya know. it will make people use linux mint and increase the number of people who use linux mint. :D ya. this might be a good idea.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Make a commerical for linux mint.

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Given the size (small) of the Mint development team and the scarcity of funds available, who do you propose to write and produce this commercial and how do you propose to pay for it (both production and airing will cost big bucks, probably more than the current total annual donation and sponsor income).
Racoffey

Post by Racoffey »

The way to get a Mint commercial is simple. Find a computer manufacturer who is willing to sponsor Mint and push to have it as OEM on there computers and let them advertise. And, by the way, don't go with HP. LOL
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Already Linux Mint is very prominent; any reviews where they compare a few distros these days, Linux Mint is one of the distros compared... So at least amongst the Linux-curious crowd Linux Mint gets a healthy dose of positive exposure. (At least this goes for my country; Linux Format is available here and they regularly cover Linux Mint, as does C't magazine.)
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

Racoffey wrote:The way to get a Mint commercial is simple. Find a computer manufacturer who is willing to sponsor Mint and push to have it as OEM on there computers and let them advertise. And, by the way, don't go with HP. LOL
Having worked with lawyers, for one, in my time and for other issues that spring to mind, I can think of definite reasons why this is not as straightforward as may first appear.

I believe there might be more scope going with independent computer retailers rather than manufacturers; the kind that might be (and they currently are) building computers to spec and then asking them to offer OEM installs of Mint or pick-yer-distro, naturally this is most often on a smaller scale but it could still be effective with the right management.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Racoffey wrote:Find a computer manufacturer who is willing to sponsor...
I can easily say from experience that finding hardware sponsors is often an exercise in futility. In fact it's painfully difficult to even find hosting sponsorship most of the time. Sponsors look for some type of mutual benefit and 99% of the time offering sponsorship to a Linux distribution that isn't widely used in a commercial setting doesn't make sense when the bottom line comes rolling around. Companies will consider sponsorship if the user base is large enough to drum up some additional business for the sponsor based on things like advertising, however this is difficult from a hardware vendor's perspective as most people moving into Linux are using their existing hardware rather than purchasing new. Hosting companies can fare a bit better as they won't actually have inventory and installation to deal with, rather it's usually just a situation of giving a project a server or two in exchange for the advertising. Even so, it's hard to get that hosting if you don't offer enough traffic to make it worth the resources they're investing.
rfbennett1

Post by rfbennett1 »

Racoffey wrote:The way to get a Mint commercial is simple. Find a computer manufacturer who is willing to sponsor Mint and push to have it as OEM on there computers and let them advertise. And, by the way, don't go with HP. LOL
:shock: There is nothing wrong with HP :shock: I have had my HP Compaq since 2004 and not once has it failed me :mrgreen: Was well worth £699 :mrgreen:
Aging Technogeek

rfbennet1,

Racoffey's comment was not in reference to the quality of HP computers (which has always been excellent), but to the fact that HP is in the process of completely removing itself from the home PC market. They are selling off their entire PC operation.
rfbennett1

Post by rfbennett1 »

Aging Technogeek wrote:rfbennet1,

Racoffey's comment was not in reference to the quality of HP computers (which has always been excellent), but to the fact that HP is in the process of completely removing itself from the home PC market. They are selling off their entire PC operation.
Then i must apologise and take my comment back i had no idea HP are selling off there PC Market (We get told nothing here in the UK) It's a shame what HP are doing i have always been a huge fan of them. Does this mean the same for Compaq? I'm not entirely sure if it's the same company, we have Laptops and PCs in the UK which are manufactured by Compaq even Packard Bell too which could possibly be 1 half of Hewlett Packard.
Aging Technogeek

Compaq was once an independent manufacturer. HP bought them several years ago. HP-Compaq is part of the sale offering.

Packard Bell is an entirely separate entity from Hewlitt-Packard. As far as I know, there is no relationship.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”