Refresh rate on linux_mint 4?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Refresh rate on linux_mint 4?

Post by newW2 »

OK. I thought I'd wait and see if anyone else answered this. But you are in a real hurry so, I'll give you what I have done and then what I have seen posted here as well (just in case what I have done didn't work). I will not be responsible for any damage to your hardware. :)

Don't know what have you tried so far, so I'll suggest that you run Envy and install the latest driver for you nvidia graphics if you haven't. If that didn't do it, then you may want to know what your current settings are. It's not necessary but it's good information for later if none of this works. Open a terminal and enter:

xvidtune

Make note of the pop-up warning. When you select the cancel button on this pop-up window the window with the current sync rate data will close, so you may want to write them down for comparison later.

Next run the following command in a terminal:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg --frontend=gnome

This will start a configuration session that will ask questions that will be used to reconfigure your user settings. When this completes and you reboot you should have settings that look good. If not then you will want to do what others have done. Manually edit the refresh rates in the xorg.conf file. It is located at: /etc/X11/xorg.conf

To do this start by entering the following in a terminal:
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

When the text editor opens the file scroll down to Section "Monitor"
It will have something like:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Name of your monitor or Generic Monitor"
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

You want to add Horizsync and vertrefresh after the line starting with Option. For example you would have something like this:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
Option "DPMS"
Horizsync 30-70 (what your hardware specification specifies)
Vertrefresh 50-160 (what your hardware specification specifies)
EndSection

Please note the values you put here for Horizsync and Vertrefresh should match your monitor specifications. I will not be responsible for any damage to your hardware. :))

I hope you are successful and you enjoy Linux Mint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Refresh rate on linux_mint 4?

Post by newW2 »

This is fantastic news. Great to see you have things up and running. Welcome aboard and happy computing. ;)

Return to “Beginner Questions”