Linux Mint 11 LXDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Linux Mint 11 LXDE released!

Post by nunol »

Reddog1 wrote:I still stand by my suggestion that the Mint LXDE developers consider a Grub install option so that 256 Megs will suffice.
Mint 10 LXDE, Mint 11 LXDE and Mint 11 install with 256MB of RAM and less if you have a SWAP partition already installed. All you have to do is use another distro like Puppy and create the SWAP partition with Gparted and then run the Mint live CD. In the case of Mint 10 LXDE you can run Gparted from the live CD, create the SWAP partition and then run the installer.

I have several distros in a PIV with 256MB of RAM with 16MB shared by the VGA card including Mint 10 LXDE and Mint 11.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

That is good information! I have a live disk of gparted and could have done this if I'd known. I've never seen the trick "create a Linux swap partition before the install on machines with low RAM" anywhere on the net. This should probably be in the instructions for all the low-resource Mint installs.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

It is a great trick and comes up on a regular basis on the forum. I seem to remember seeing it in one of the 'Community' pages as well but can't find it right now. The biggest problem with putting it in the instructions is that 99% of people don't actually bother reading anything - they just run the Live system, hit 'Install Mint' and then get upset when it doesn't all work as well as a Windows installer does.

The only place you could possibly put it to ensure they see this info is on the desktop of the LiveCD, but then they wouldn't see it if they can't boot due to lack of RAM in their system. Kind of a Catch-22 situation. :mrgreen:
truexfan81

Post by truexfan81 »

SimonTS wrote:It is a great trick and comes up on a regular basis on the forum. I seem to remember seeing it in one of the 'Community' pages as well but can't find it right now. The biggest problem with putting it in the instructions is that 99% of people don't actually bother reading anything - they just run the Live system, hit 'Install Mint' and then get upset when it doesn't all work as well as a Windows installer does.

The only place you could possibly put it to ensure they see this info is on the desktop of the LiveCD, but then they wouldn't see it if they can't boot due to lack of RAM in their system. Kind of a Catch-22 situation. :mrgreen:
they just run the Live system, hit 'Install Mint' and then get upset when it doesn't all work as well as a Windows installer does.
the hdd in my netbook is developing bad sectors (i'm amazed it still works at all) have tried several editions of mint, no problems at all, made 7 attempts at installing win7, all attemps failed, it hits the bad sectors and freezes up. i just think its funny how much smarter the mint installers are. :lol:

Return to “Releases & Announcements”