No root file system is defined please correct (SOLVED)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Craig.T.Roberts

No root file system is defined please correct (SOLVED)

Post by Craig.T.Roberts »

HI I have just downloaded Linux Mint 11 Katya to a CD and I've also downloaded the missing codecs and am in the process of installing linux from the CD. I chose (something else) at the allocate drive space menu because I am afraid I will lose what I have on my HD currently. not sure if this is the case or not.
when it comes to actually selecting a drive I'm a bit lost on what to do next so I hit install now and get an error message
No root file system is defined please correct this from the partitioning menu.....

I have no Idea what i'm supposed to do next and definitely need a little help

also I have no issue removing windows completely from my PC other than if I will lose files on the HD by doing so
this may seem completley obvious but I'm totally lost right now but would really like to give Linux a try

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
istrandi

Re: No root file system is defined please correct this from

Post by istrandi »

IIRC you should get a window like this somewhere in the install:
Screen shot 2011-10-27 at 10.12.28 PM.JPG
Select the 'mount point' as / from the drop down menu for the correct partition.
Craig.T.Roberts

Thanks that solved that problem
now for whatever reason after i'm done installing and do a restart it makes me run from the CD again and I have to do the install all over again.

I put a separate post up on the installation and boot forum so I'll see what I can get from that
Thanks for the quick response though
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

LOL, I saw your other post.

You are supposed to REMOVE the CD from the computer AFTER IT FINISHED INSTALLING and when you get the prompt that says "Do you want to continue testing or restart?" Click restart and remove the CD and you should be fine. Please take the time to read prompts...they can be informative! :roll: :roll: :lol:
Craig.T.Roberts

I tried removing the CD on the 1st attempt and during restart it told me to put it back in ...some kind of error I'm going to restart again and then I'll post exactly what it tells me to see if it helps anyone figure out what the hell I'm talking about

Thanks
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Take a picture with your camera and post it here. We really have no idea what problem you're talking about. Usually, it never gives trouble when installation is finished. Btw, sorry if you thought I was making fun of you or something. :| :|
Craig.T.Roberts

the error message I get during restart is as follows: Err2Err3DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.
this appears at the Dos screen during restart without the CD
once I put the CD back in everything boots up fine and I'm back at the demo desktop again
is there a simpler version of Linux I could start off with I'm not exactly computer savvy to begin, with, on top of that this is my 1st PC I've always used macs
didn't think anyone was making fun of me I have no Idea what I'm doing and that's pretty obvious, any help advice anyone could give me would be awesome
istrandi

Post by istrandi »

perhaps ubuntu is the most 'mac like' in terms of the amount it 'hides' from the user... could try that.

Personally - i prefer mint, because it offers more freedom and I find is easier to use... but thats just me.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Craig.T.Roberts wrote:the error message I get during restart is as follows: Err2Err3DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.
this appears at the Dos screen during restart without the CD
once I put the CD back in everything boots up fine and I'm back at the demo desktop again
is there a simpler version of Linux I could start off with I'm not exactly computer savvy to begin, with, on top of that this is my 1st PC I've always used macs
didn't think anyone was making fun of me I have no Idea what I'm doing and that's pretty obvious, any help advice anyone could give me would be awesome
There's other ways to install Mint on your pc you know...
Go to http://www.unetbootin.sourceforge.net and download Unetbootin so you can make a bootable flash drive; you can also use unetbootin to install Mint from your harddrive, but that's a wee bit more complicated; look up on google, its very simple (for me anyway).
Craig.T.Roberts

Re: No root file system is defined please correct(SOLVED)

OK I finally figured it out.
had to burn another CD and it worked fine I have rebooted several times and it starts up with no issues.
thanks for all your help.
still fumbling through my new OS so I'm sure you'll be hearing from me soon

Thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”