clicks when recording from Pulse with 3.0.0 kernel

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
snd

clicks when recording from Pulse with 3.0.0 kernel

Post by snd »

When recording in any application, if the recording source is PulseAudio, there are many very short clicks during the recording.
The clicks are generally between 1 and 3 samples duration and often occur at intervals of around 450 samples (sample rate 44100).

This problem appeared with the kernel update from 2.6.39-2-486 to 3.0.0-1-486.
The problem does not occur if I boot the old 2.6 kernel.
The problem does not occur if I use ALSA directly (instead of Pulse).
The problem does not occur if I use Jackd.

I've tried various configuration options for PulseAudio but nothing appears to make any change to this problem which makes me suspect that the problem may lie with the 3.0 kernel rather than with PulseAudio.

Sound card: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC268 Analog [ALC268 Analog]

pulseaudio --dump-conf
### Read from configuration file: /etc/pulse/daemon.conf ###
daemonize = no
fail = yes
high-priority = yes
nice-level = -11
realtime-scheduling = yes
realtime-priority = 5
allow-module-loading = yes
allow-exit = yes
use-pid-file = yes
system-instance = no
cpu-limit = no
enable-shm = yes
flat-volumes = yes
lock-memory = no
exit-idle-time = 20
scache-idle-time = 20
dl-search-path = /usr/lib/pulse-0.9.23/modules
default-script-file = /etc/pulse/default.pa
load-default-script-file = yes
log-target = auto
log-level = notice
resample-method = speex-float-1
enable-remixing = yes
enable-lfe-remixing = no
default-sample-format = s16le
default-sample-rate = 44100
default-sample-channels = 2
default-channel-map = front-left,front-right
default-fragments = 8
default-fragment-size-msec = 10
shm-size-bytes = 0
log-meta = no
log-time = no
log-backtrace = 0
rlimit-fsize = -1
rlimit-data = -1
rlimit-stack = -1
rlimit-core = -1
rlimit-rss = -1
rlimit-as = -1
rlimit-nproc = -1
rlimit-nofile = 256
rlimit-memlock = -1
rlimit-locks = -1
rlimit-sigpending = -1
rlimit-msgqueue = -1
rlimit-nice = 31
rlimit-rtprio = 9
rlimit-rttime = 1000000
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: clicks when recording from Pulse with 3.0.0 kernel

Post by richyrich »

Suggestion : please report this as a new, or find it as a many-a-posted bug, at kernel.org and/or at the pulseaudio bug report forum.
The problem does not occur if I boot the old 2.6 kernel.
The problem does not occur if I use ALSA directly (instead of Pulse).
The problem does not occur if I use Jackd.
question - If a person had " the old 2.6 kernel (too bad you didn't share what that one is?) " that actually and really worked, why would that person want to futz with it ?
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

The only time I've been able to use a kernel greater than 2.6.38 with a logitech C270/C300 webcams without skype/audacity making me sound like donald duck was using the AVLinux distro.

Recently in desperation I bought a Sweex webcam and it worked without any problems.
snd

Post by snd »

richyrich wrote: question - If a person had " the old 2.6 kernel (too bad you didn't share what that one is?) " that actually and really worked, why would that person want to futz with it ?
It was 2.6.39-2-486 (as it says in my original post).
This was installed with the original installation from the current LMDE installation disk.

The update to version 3.0.0-1-486 was part of the (several hundred) updates that was recommended by the Update Manager with the original default settings.
richyrich wrote:Suggestion : please report this as a new, or find it as a many-a-posted bug, at kernel.org and/or at the pulseaudio bug report forum.
I have no idea if this is a bug in the Linux kernel, or in pulseaudio or if it is specific to LMDE.
I have reported it here as I have identified the problem within a default installation of the current version of LMDE.

I have now reported the issue to https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/
snd

Post by snd »

I think I've solved the problem (is it customary to add (SOLVED) to the subject title on this forum?)
My computer is dual core, but the 486 kernel only supports one core. I've now installed the 686 pae kernel and so far recording appears to be fine.
zhanshime

Post by zhanshime »

yes,i have the same problem :twisted:
nortski

Post by nortski »

Glad you managed to sort it SND. I am sure this information will be a great help for many others. :)
GregE

Post by GregE »

ukbrian wrote:The only time I've been able to use a kernel greater than 2.6.38 with a logitech C270/C300 webcams without skype/audacity making me sound like donald duck was using the AVLinux distro.

Recently in desperation I bought a Sweex webcam and it worked without any problems.
The very latest version of Pulse will fix the Donald Duck voice with Logitech cams and newer kernels. I grabbed the one from Experimental so I can use Skype.

Return to “LMDE Archive”