New install: Speakers dont work, but headphones do...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
quickfoot

New install: Speakers dont work, but headphones do...

Post by quickfoot »

I have installed Linux Mint 11 on an ASUS K53U laptop (AMD C-50 cpu).

My problem is that the headphones work, but the speakers on the laptop do not work at all.

How can I get it to work? :?

:? I have tried making sure that my user has permission to access the audio devices.
:? I have used alsamixer to set the speaker volume to max.

Any ideas? :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seppalta

Re: New install: Speakers dont work, but headphones do...

Post by seppalta »

Don't know if it will help but you can try all the settings available from the controls mentioned in 17 in http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning%20LXDE.html . Maybe you'll find a setting that produces audio. :D
quickfoot

Post by quickfoot »

seppalta wrote:Don't know if it will help but you can try all the settings available from the controls mentioned in 17 in http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning%20LXDE.html . Maybe you'll find a setting that produces audio. :D
Thanks for the link. It did provide me with more tools, but unfortunately it did not lead to a fix.

I still have no sound. :(

What I did learn is that my laptop has support for sound via HDMI output as well as regular Analog Audio.
Also, it appears that in alsamixer that the HDMI is being chosen as the default output device even though in gnome sound control it looks like Analog is set.
:!: In alsamixer I have to manually select the Analog Audio from the list as sound card #1... #0 is HDMI and default is also HDMI.
card#1 is Chip: Realtek ALC269VB

:idea: I'm not an expert, but it seems that whatever is considered the default is what will work here. :idea:
:?: Is there a way to force card#0 to be my Analog Audio (Realtek ALC269VB)? :?:

If I am off base, please let me know as well.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

Forcing... I don't know about that - maybe disabling HDMI-out in BIOS, but let's just try avoiding that. It's not e-l-e-g-a-n-t. :)

If you click the speaker in the notification area and go into Sound settings, what do you see on the tabs Hardware and Output? The speakers you're trying to use, are they built-in, or external? When you used ALSA Mixer, did you see <MM> (mute) below some output or other?
quickfoot

Post by quickfoot »

Silent Warrior wrote:Forcing... I don't know about that - maybe disabling HDMI-out in BIOS, but let's just try avoiding that. It's not e-l-e-g-a-n-t. :)

If you click the speaker in the notification area and go into Sound settings, what do you see on the tabs Hardware and Output? The speakers you're trying to use, are they built-in, or external? When you used ALSA Mixer, did you see <MM> (mute) below some output or other?
Well, no worries about doing an inelegant thing... my BIOS does not have a setting for disabling it. :oops:

:arrow: Right now, in the volume control it is set to "Analog Speakers".
:arrow: The speakers are built in.
:arrow: In ALSA Mixer there is no "<MM> (mute)" below any of the output vertical bars.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

Congratulations, you shouldn't be having any trouble at all with those settings. At least, that's been my experience, but I only have one soundcard in this laptop. But what about your Hardware tab, then? What profile is it set to?
quickfoot

Post by quickfoot »

Silent Warrior wrote:Congratulations, you shouldn't be having any trouble at all with those settings. At least, that's been my experience, but I only have one soundcard in this laptop. But what about your Hardware tab, then? What profile is it set to?
My hardware tab shows the following:

Analog Stereo Duplex
Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output
Profile: Analog Stereo Duplex
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

... Then, you should have sound. Seriously, this is just weird - your chip is supported under ALSA since 1.0.16*. The only way your settings differ from mine is the HDMI Out. Then again, I think there were some occasions when I had to give it a sort of running start in order to get sound. Keep the volume control open, while playing some music or whatever with any media player, and see what happens on the different tabs when you connect and disconnect your headphone.
I... suppose you shouldn't see much going on, really, but keep in mind that you won't need anywhere near as much volume to get audible sounds from headphones as you would with normal speakers.

... AH, GOT IT! W-well, that is, I remember what I had to monkey around with to get sound. With the volume control/sound settings open, go to the Hardware tab and see if there's any change when you set the profile to Analog Output. If so, see if it changes back when you set it to Analog duplex again. Also check the Output tab - try the different connections.

[Edit]
* Or is it? It seems to be an ongoing story. I did a search at alsa-project.org, and there are entries in the change logs at least into 1.0.22 where work has been done for the ALC269...

Ah, it seems Arch comes to the rescue yet again: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 31#p888831
There was a suggested solution in the bottom post when I looked. Try it, and see what happens.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I am still wondering why no one hasn't yet suggested using the model setting for the Realtek ALC269. Being device #0 or #1 really does not matter, as the headphones on the same ALC269 chip do work.
Alsamixer always displays device #0 by default. But this DOES NOT MEAN that Device #1 is disabled by it.

These settings are available:

Code: Select all

ALC269
======
  basic	      Basic preset
  quanta	     Quanta FL1
  laptop-amic	Laptops with analog-mic input
  laptop-dmic	Laptops with digital-mic input
  fujitsu	    FSC Amilo
  lifebook	   Fujitsu Lifebook S6420
  auto	       auto-config reading BIOS (default)
Please run this command:

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
And put this line in the text editor which opens:

options snd-hda-intel model=auto
And replace auto with a model setting from the list above. You need to reboot for the model setting to take effect.

Another good advice: Don't touch Alsamixer! Make sure everything's unmuted and then leave it this way. You are using PulseAudio on Mint 11 Gnome.

By the way, are you sure that your sound chip is a Realtek ALC269? You can find it with this command:

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec* | grep Codec
Replace card0 with card1 if it only displays HDMI audio.
Again, if your soundcard is card0 or card1 does NOT matter at all.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
rainserpent

Post by rainserpent »

Thank you Albert, for your reply to this post :!: After messing around with all sorts of things, adding that option line to the config file and rebooting worked for me! (Running Maya on Toshiba NB505) :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”