URGENT HELP NEEDED!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grrrlshapedthing
Level 1
Level 1

URGENT HELP NEEDED!

Post by grrrlshapedthing »

I think i may have a virus!

My computer started having issues two days ago where it started opening up random things rapidly or would insert weird text when you were typing, I couldn't figure out what the issue was but then it stopped so I figured i had fixed it... well I turned it on today and nothing works nautilus won't open it says gnome power management is not properly configured, i have no menus and cannot access any of my data! does anyone know of anyway i can fix this without a complete reinstall? Or if I do have to do a complete reinstall how to access the files so i can copy them first?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dpar
Level 1
Level 1

Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED!

Post by dpar »

Use the LiveCD to access your files.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi

I think it is incredibly unlikely you have a virus in Linux

It seems more likely that your hard drive is on the way out.

Nick
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

nick wrote:Hi

Nick
Well that certainly is good news...especially at this time of the year...Merry Christmas!
grrrlshapedthing
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grrrlshapedthing »

nick wrote:Hi

I think it is incredibly unlikely you have a virus in Linux

Nick

nooo.... i hope not it's only 6 months old!
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi

Assuming you have recovered your data, First why not see
if live Cd still works? Also try running memtest, if that is all OK
Try a re-install, also check all connections on hardware.

"Antivirus? You don't need that, virus threats are nearly inexistant in Linux. I never had to use any antivirus and I've run Linux since 1996 :) - Syware? 90% of your software is open source .. so no spyware in there, and .."
http://linuxmint.com/forum/search.php?s ... s&start=15

I also have been running Linux (no windows) since 1997,and never needed firewall or anti virus.

Virus is FUD, it is the exploit of and insecure piece of sofware, i.e. M$ Just uses the name to make it look like it is not the fault of M$

Nick

Return to “Beginner Questions”