A Plea From A Visually Impaired User For Mint 12

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
rojthevorlon
Level 1
Level 1

A Plea From A Visually Impaired User For Mint 12

Post by rojthevorlon »

Hi folks,

In Ubuntu 10.10 and Mint 10, the Compiz Enhanced Desktop Zoom was enabled and had hotkeys implemented. In Ubuntu 11.04 and Mint 11, those settings were missing and when I did manage to implement them, the desktop response was very choppy (I later found out the workarounds but ultimately stayed with Mint 10). Would it be possible to have those settings there by default again in Mint 12? It would sure save me a lot of trouble and I'm equally sure I'm not alone. This distro has been the cat's meow for me. I've only been using Linux for a year now and moved to Mint from Ubuntu because of the excellent user-friendliness and fit-and-finish that you good folks have put into it.

On behalf of myself and other visually impaired users, please think of us when you build - the folks at Canonical seem to have forgotten we exist.

Thanks for all your hard work.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: A Plea From A Visually Impaired User For Mint 12

Post by xenopeek »

I've compared the Linux Mint 10 enhanced desktop zoom configuration with Linux Mint 11. The only difference is there are three hotkeys set, the super key in combination with various mouse buttons. I don't know how this translates

I'm not sure how to add these to the default configuration, but using gconf-editor they seem to be in /apps/compiz-1/plugins/ezoom/screen0/options.
Majes

Re: A Plea From A Visually Impaired User For Mint 12

Post by Majes »

Hello rojthevorlon,

I am also visually impaired, I don't normally use the zoom features myself but just adjust the font everywhere. In the theme I am using with Mint 11 I seem to have a plus / mius button on most if not all system menus, maybe you should have a look at some other themes ?

Sorry I can't help much with the technical stuff, but I certainly will speak up for visually impaired folks, as much thought as you developer guys / gals can give us the better. It is very much appreciated!!

Good luck rojthevorlon....

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”