Linux Mint 12, and beyond?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests

Should Linux Mint...

Maintain There Own Distro
34%
Follow Ubuntu
15%
Follow Debian
44%
Other (tell me in the comments)
6%

Total votes: 306

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Linux Mint 12, and beyond?

Post by KBD47 »

HardyH wrote:
KBD47 wrote:My hope is that if Mint goes Gnome 3 as it ultimately appears it will, that every freakin tweak available comes with it, gnome tweak, ubuntu tweak, that ccss? whatever and anything else that can be thrown in, because Ubuntu 11.10 is the most unconfigurable (is that a word?) Linux version I've ever seen, whether it's gnome 3 or unity. ...
KBD47
And when Gnome 3.2 gets upgraded to 3.4, all extensions will eventually break, great....
H.
I'm willing to give Clem the benefit of the doubt based upon how well Mint is done and has been done. If he can work with gnome that is great. But my advice would be to dump gnome and go with Xfce for main Mint. As I said on another message board Linux users are being split into two groups: Those who want computer interfaces, and those who want tablet interfaces. My guess is that most Mint users belong to the former group. If Main Mint becomes a tablet interface I don't know what I'll recommend to Linux noobs, maybe Puppy Linux? :-)
KBD47
karashata

Post by karashata »

Actually, all of the extensions I'm aware of that are not shipped by GNOME (and therefore updated to work with GNOME 3.2 and the new extension system) already are broken in GNOME 3.2. While they're not advertising it as a feature update for GNOME 3.2, the extension system has already been modified for easier enabling/disabling of extensions, and none of the extensions I'm aware of have been written to use the new system and therefore do not get loaded due to missing routines (or what-have-you, I don't really know the correct terminology...).

As long as Clem writes his extensions for GNOME 3.2, I doubt there will be too much work required to make them work in GNOME 3.4 if any further changes are made to the extension system (as far as I know, they may still need to add the code to make installation/removal of extensions easier, possibly also adding an interface for extension management or some such...).
mfreeman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mfreeman »

KBD47 wrote:I'm willing to give Clem the benefit of the doubt based upon how well Mint is done and has been done. If he can work with gnome that is great. But my advice would be to dump gnome and go with Xfce for main Mint. As I said on another message board Linux users are being split into two groups: Those who want computer interfaces, and those who want tablet interfaces. My guess is that most Mint users belong to the former group. If Main Mint becomes a tablet interface I don't know what I'll recommend to Linux noobs, maybe Puppy Linux? :-)
KBD47
From what I've read, Clem plans to release one version based on Gnome 2.32 (or possibly Mate - a fork of Gnome 2) and a separate Gnome 3 version. I personally don't like XFCE (it's like using Gnome from many years ago and calling it modern - just doesn't sit well with me). I've tried it, and if they got rid of the Gnome 2.32 version and replaced it with XFCE, I would stop using Mint. Although I guess the same could be said if they replaced it with Gnome Shell, too.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Plain Xfce4 is not impressive. You can install that on Ubuntu, and I have, and it is rather unimpressive. Xubuntu is a different matter, it is more polished. Yet it can use a face lift and the first thing I did was tweak the dock at the bottom, add some faenza icons, and some new wallpaper. It doesn't take much to make Xubuntu look impressive and it comes with synaptic package manager so you can add whatever software you want from the Ubuntu repositories.
KBD47
gnimmelf

Post by gnimmelf »

Hi there.
In my humble opinion, they should pick up after mint 10 !.... I dont know why, but Mint 10 64 bit is by far the fastest of them, ( 9-10-11 xfce, lmde, lxde you name it, even peppermint 64 bit? and Lubuntu 64 bit?) if striped from effects and stuff and run with "performance" on the CPU`s.
up until know the ppa Chromium daily was fastest, but it seems that google crome 16.0.912.0 dev is faster now.

Kind regards Gnimmelf

ps here are my peacekeeper score.

Your fastest score for Chrome 16.0.912.0
12110 Points (old peacekeeper)

and hardinfo:
CPU Blowfish 3000 Mhz 5,673
CPU CryptoHash 3000 Mhz 250,409
CPU Fibonacci 3000 Mhz 2,683
CPU N-Queens 3000 Mhz 7,430
FPU FFT 3000 Mhz 2,648
FPU Raytracing 3000 Mhz 4,559
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Nick_Djinn wrote:ALL of the distros that are staying with Gnome2 are buggy.
Ah really? And what for distros like Red Hat (and its clones) for instance? :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
HardyH

Post by HardyH »

linuxviolin wrote:
Nick_Djinn wrote:ALL of the distros that are staying with Gnome2 are buggy.
Ah really? And what for distros like Red Hat (and its clones) for instance? :roll:
Red Hat, Fedora, Cent & co, dependency hells at their best....
H.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

HardyH wrote:Red Hat, Fedora, Cent & co, dependency hells at their best....
The "dependency hells" is a myth, if you don't do anything with your distro of course, and it exists in the deb world too.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
jamied_uk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jamied_uk »

i love mint 9 and 11 and want mint 12 to come out within a year and have same sort of graphic compatibility as the newest windows 7 for the active graphics on the desktop pictures that move with crystal clear graphics and more game compatibilities.

also hopefully faster virtual environment handling for audio editing / DJ software like virtual dj, and cool edit.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If you'd like better graphics on Mint 12, please open a seperate topic and tell what graphics card you are using.

There are two Mint releases each year. Mint 12 will come out around November and Mint 13 around May.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
HardyH

Post by HardyH »

linuxviolin wrote:
HardyH wrote:Red Hat, Fedora, Cent & co, dependency hells at their best....
The "dependency hells" is a myth, if you don't do anything with your distro of course, and it exists in the deb world too.
A myth? My Cent OS 6.0 destroyed itself when making the first actualisation afer I installed it....
H.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

HardyH wrote:My Cent OS 6.0 destroyed itself when making the first actualisation afer I installed it....
Well, what repos used you? If you choose repos which not modify and/or break upstream compatibility or update/upgrade/replace base, core, components, you should not have some problem ("should" because nothing is 100%... specially in the Linux world :wink:) If you mix many repos or/and if you use repos which modify base, core, CentOS components then yes, you can have problems. But this is more or less the same in other distros too. You could want to read this: http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResour ... positories

I have used CentOS 5 for a long time, months, without any problem. But I *never* used a repo which modifies base, core, CentOS components...

But this is not the subject here.... :-)
HardyH

Post by HardyH »

Well, I did not enable any additional repos, used teh ones that were enabled by default and after the first actualisation, the OS was dysfunctional.
Speaking of dysfunctional systems, made another Ubuntu 11.10 installation today, put on Gnome 3 and now the only GUI that works is Unity 2d, Unity 3d will only open the trashcan when I click on any launcher icon, Gnome Shell does not have any top panel anymore, (alt-f2 to open a command prompt to restart the (S)hell does not work, neither does any other keyboard shortcut) , Gnome 3 Fallback will not react on anything anymore, so I will stay away from both forever....
H.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Even Xubuntu 11.10 became a PITA because it broke my video. I downgraded to Xubuntu 11.04 because video works perfect on it. Really liking the Xfce desktop. I'm looking forward to Mint 12, want to add it as dual boot to Xubuntu. More interested in the Gnome 2/fork version. I'm thinking it will be awhile before Gnome 3 is tamed. A bit concerned about Mint 12 being built on top of Ubuntu 11.10 since it borked my video though. I first thought it was something in the newest kernal that did it, but tried another distro with the newest kernal and video was fine, so it was an Ubuntu bork.
BTW is Mint LTS also going to follow the new 5 year support plan Ubuntu just announced?
KBD47
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

It should...since it is ubuntu underneath mint...you would continue to get the ubuntu updates for the entire period...so, they are going to 5 years of updates on their LTS? wow...interesting....that would be Mint 13 for us of course... :wink:
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

craig10x wrote:It should...since it is ubuntu underneath mint...you would continue to get the ubuntu updates for the entire period...so, they are going to 5 years of updates on their LTS? wow...interesting....that would be Mint 13 for us of course... :wink:
Yes, truly was not expecting anything brilliant out of Canonical seeing the Unity debacle, but very impressed with their commitment to 5 years lts support for desktop users:
http://www.canonical.com/content/ubuntu ... ktop-users
experimenter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by experimenter »

Ubuntu as base should be continued. One major reason - It can detect and install propriety drivers for hardware. Linux mint is a great distro for windows/mac converts. Auto detection and istallation of propriety h/w is important for making this shift. Ubuntu is popular because of the tools it created to make life easier for users. Linux mint goes a step further in providing tools for linux newbie and hence its popularity. Pure debian users mostly would follow debian (I have Debian (not LMDE) on my laptop and Mint on desktop). Its only the ubuntu/windows/mac users who will gravitate towads Mint and maybe later shift to LMDE once they know enough. Hence the ubuntu release is important
davidmitchelstow

Post by davidmitchelstow »

I love all the things mint comes up with. I usually install the main edition as I am not adept enough to handle LMDE. Yet, I love to experiment with desktops. So I usually make several installs of mint main edition and then I put various desktops on top of it. I leave one of my main edition installs alone so that I will have some kind of better stability and familiarity. I would be pleased if Mint stayed with Ubuntu and Debian and kept making the polished product that is so user friendly. I always suggest it to others at least as a dual boot. Yes I still dual boot with windows although I probably use Mint 99 percent of the time if not more. When people happy with windows ask "why?" I suggest to them that using Mint which seems so virtually immune to viruses and has no registry to fix or clean could help them avoid chances of crashing their windows set up. Soon I suspect that anyone doing that will find themselves like myself, using Mint and hardly thinking of windows, and hey it is a much cheaper option than going with a MAC. So stick with what you are doing because to me it's great.
ascii

Post by ascii »

Soon I suspect that anyone doing that will find themselves like myself, using Mint and hardly thinking of windows, and hey it is a much cheaper option than going with a MAC.

Not only is it cheaper, it's better :)
mistywindow

Post by mistywindow »

Another "Other" vote. Stick with Debian, but appropriate the best of Ubuntu - especially maintaining compatibility with Ubuntu repos.

Mint contributors, you should be in the running for the Nobel.

:)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”