Wireless Not Enabled

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aarroonnss

Re: Wireless Not Enabled

Post by aarroonnss »

AlbertP wrote:Last week someone posted on the forum that installing firmware-b43-lpphy-installer helps to get the BCM4312 (14e4:4315) working. And mintwifi shows you're having that card.
Thanks for the hint !
I tried
apt install firmware-b43-lpphy-installer
no errors, rebooting,
Wireless Network still shown in gray (when clicking on the network icon in the main panel).
It reads "Wireless network disabled by hardware".

What did I miss ?

My new rfkill list:
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes
1: ideapad_wlan: Wireless LAN
Hard blocked: no
2: ideapad_bluetooth: Bluetooth
Hard blocked: no
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

phy0 is your wireless card, it's hard blocked. So the wireless on/off button is turned off.

Note that the ideapad-laptop module is not to blame so blacklisting won't help.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
aarroonnss

Post by aarroonnss »

"phy0 is your wireless card, it's hard blocked. So the wireless on/off button is turned off"

Thats the strange thing, the button is definetely turned to on.
Wlan is also turned on in bios.

Furthermore I tried different variations like starting with the button turned off to startup, switch ist on later...
Could it be that there's something like a second "button" to block wlan that only can be changed by software somehow?
Because, like I wrote some post earlier the last time with the original wlan-drivers in windows it could be activated again...
Is there anything left I could try? Something where one don't have to reinstall the operating system ;) ...
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The STA driver also reported a hard block, so it might be a hardware problem.

Does the switch work correctly in Windows?
aarroonnss

Post by aarroonnss »

About a year ago windows helped, but unfortunately I can't test it know (switched to linux mint completely).
I tried installing Ubuntu (so mint would stay alive) - friends told me hardware support would be better... (No idea how better it should be, since Mint shares a lot of packages...)
However Wlan does not run on Ubuntu either, The control center options allow to deactivate flight mode and wlan, but nothing worked.
BUT after Restart WLAN was working again under Linux Mint!
I really dunno why... the main point is to be online again ;)

Well maybe the next thing is a question for a new topic:
Ubuntu is now the first operating system in the list one can see when starting the computer.
And changes in the "StartUp-Manager" in the Mint Control Center don't have an effect anymore :(
Ah nevermind its certainly easy to fix.
Edit: Installed startup manager on ubuntu, changed the config there and it's fine.

So WLan works finally but under the circumstances I'm not sure if one can call it a solved thing...
(And WLAN is still not running under the new ubuntu installation but I don't care about that)

Thanks again for the help so far !
Last edited by aarroonnss on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

On Ubuntu you'll need to install the same driver, firmware-b43-lpphy-installer, to get wifi working.
flanna
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flanna »

My Wifi has suddenly stopped working. :(

This is on my 3 week old Lenovo X121e with Linux Mint 11 and latest updates.

The Wifi connection has been working fine for 3 weeks. Then today X windows crashed when I clicked on a link in Chrome browser (this happens every few days). When I restarted Chrome there was no Wifi connection, so I rebooted the laptop. Still no connection. The strange thing is that the laptop does detect the Wifi router and sees the routers name but it will not accept the passkey to make the connection. This is exactly what has happened on two other laptops running Mint 11 (one of them in a different building).

While I couldn't connect with the X121e Mint laptop, sitting right next to it is is a Sony Vaio Windows 7 laptop and it is connected, via Wifi, to the same router (using the same passkey). So the issue seems to be with Mint 11 not with the router.

Can anyone help??
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please open a seperate topic, flanna, and tell in that topic what wifi card you're using (you can type inxi -N in terminal to see it).
rcanalli

Post by rcanalli »

Hi,

I'm having the same problem on a friend's notebook running Linux Mint 12, who I'm trying to help, but I'm no expert.

The wireless network was working normally until this week when, with no apparent reason, it suddenly just ceased to work.

Wireless network icon shows "unavailable" in gray, so it just doesn't alow me to chance it to "available" or "on". It's the same when I go to network setting. Gray "off" button that I can't change to "on". Also "flight mode" indicator always starts "on". Here, I'm even able to change the flight mode to "off", but nothing happens. And if close the network setting window, when I reopen it, flight mode turned back to "on".

Here are the results for lspci:

$ lspci -vvnn

01:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) [168c:002b] (rev 01)
Subsystem: AzureWave Device [1a3b:1089]
Physical Slot: 0
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
Region 0: Memory at fe500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: ath9k
Kernel modules: ath9k

Also,

$ rfkill list all

0: phy0: Wireless LAN
Hard blocked: yes

I have linux-firmware-nonfree installed

Can anyone please help?
Thank you so much.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@rcanalli: Please make sure the wifi on/off switch of your laptop is on. If you need any more help please open a new topic. You have a very different wifi card.
rcanalli

Post by rcanalli »

AlbertP wrote:@rcanalli: Please make sure the wifi on/off switch of your laptop is on. If you need any more help please open a new topic. You have a very different wifi card.
AlbertP, I forgot to mention, but I'd checked the on/off switch, and it's not the problem.

Thanks
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Then please open a new topic for your problem.
rcanalli

Post by rcanalli »

AlbertP wrote:Then please open a new topic for your problem.

Hi. Sorry for the dalay (the notebook in question belongs to a friend and only now she could bring it back to me), but a finally openned the new post here:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=101909

I also added some more information about the hardware.

Hope you can help. Thank you.
catclaw

Post by catclaw »

After a goat-roping effort to register, I finally can say---- Thank You for your help. I have F.F. with a new install and I have learned to expect the wireless will never work until a pint of my blood is given. I'm 71 years old. I went to college and used a slide rule. Can you? I very much doubt I will ever be able to talk the new langauge, but I am sick of viruses, constant updates, and over-hyped programs. I have learned not to ask for help. When I did ask, I learned that I would be asked 50 questions about stuff I knew nothing and never get an answer. I prefer Linux after 4 or 5 years of use, but I know I am not an accepted user as I cannot talk the talk on the terminal. I assume it is up to me to solve my problem.

I offer a comment or two. You who talk the talk and are Masters of your Machine and attempt to help: Never forget you are trying to help someone who does not have your experience and training. Start at the first. For you it will be boring and painfull.

I just used your help to someone who had a problem similar to mine. I copied terminal talk with all the faith and hope possible. I didn't have a F. clue but I knew I had to try. To give an example, I saw several lines of terminal talk and the term "select all". I don't have a clue how to "select all", but I figured somebody wanted it to be easier for me, but how do I impliment their clue?

I wish you folks could see how much better your system could be. If you want more users, don't count on old folks like me unless you can clean up some simple problems--- and I don't mean to be negative. Your install discs are great. Get the packages that simple folks like me want. I am 71 years old-- did I say that already?? Get the stinkin' wireless mess fixed with a program that doesn't need to ask me what is my wireless card or how much blood I will give.

I could go on, but you are bored and I am just happy that your help to someone with a silmilar problem solved mine. Besides I couldn't have answered you question about "sudo go to bed old man".

(all this means is Thank You for your help to someone who had the same problem as me) 11/2012
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ catclaw: This topic now contains wireless how-to's for so many different computers, that I know it can be confusing.
If you want to get any wireless help tailored to your computer, please open a new topic. You will have to run a command in terminal: inxi -N. When you post that output, we will be able to see what wifi card the computer has, to be able to help.
Just selecting commands from this topic likely won't help, since there are so many different types of wireless hardware.

Return to “Networking”