KSCD locks computer

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
b727plane1

KSCD locks computer

Post by b727plane1 »

Can anyone help with a multimedia problem with Kscd? I checked and Alsa is updated and the system is updated but when I go to play a music cd it gets to the second song and begins to be very jerky scratchy and then it freezes the computer. I have tried several other players and either they don't work or do not reconize the cd. Should I add some codeces or something? I am using Linux Mint KDE version.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: KSCD locks computer

Post by nick »

Hi

On Kscd, goto, extras, Configure Kscd, try "use direct digital playback" and if that makes no difference, at "select audio backend" change arts to alsa

Nick
b727plane1

Post by b727plane1 »

it didn't work. However, I did notice that the memory usage is high. Any other things I might try?
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi

A piece here:

"Solution(s):

Kaffeine: Installed kaffeine-xine. Set it to use the xine engine instead of Gstreamer. Found playback was jumpy. Went to the configure engine options and played with them until I found a mix that works on my computer. Plays perfectly now.

Amarok: Installed amarok-xine. Use the xine engine. Everything plays nicely.

KsCD: It turns out KsCD tries to use a CDROM's built in ability to function as a regular CD player to send audio information directly to the audio card, which saves CPU. In my case, there is no cable running from the player to the card, so obviously this does not work. Under KsCD there is an option under extras to use direct digital, which then causes KsCD to send the audio information over the CPU, and it works now.

Totem: Still doesn't work right but i get more functionality out of Kaffeine anyway (playlists and such) so i don't care.

Desktop freezing:I think the desktop was locking up when i put stuff in the drive because it was trying to open the media with multiple programs at once. I am not sure that was the problem, but at any rate it went away by going to konqueror settings:/ then components then file associations and associating all video (including DVD and VCD) to play with Kaffeine and all audio (including CD) to play with amaroK."

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=104669

Your CD's have not got some form of DRM on them have they?

Ps I use Kaffiene to play CD's or Xmms with CD plugin

Also have you tried disabling CDDB lookup in Kscd

Nick

Return to “Sound”