Official Newer Firefox Versions - "Aurora" thread

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zerozero

Re: Official Firefox-6/7/8 "Aurora" thread

Post by zerozero »

10!!!
snapshot8.png
lwrver

Post by lwrver »

lwrver wrote:Ever since I upgraded to Firefox 6 in my LM9 it occasionally will not terminate firefox-bin when I exit the program. The next time I try to start firefox it gives an error message that says "firefox-bin is still running" and will not allow firefox to start until I manually kill the process. Why is this happening? Any ideas?
Now running version 7.0.1 and still no fix for this problem. I'm able to get around it by opening "System Monitor" and ending the process. I had to place an icon on the panel for quick access to system monitor. It's rather annoying though for a mature program like Firefox, and what is this Firefox "zombie" process I keep seeing?

Update 11/23/2011: Don't know if it is a coincidence, but I upgraded to Firefox 9 yesterday, and haven't seen this anomaly since. Maybe they finally found and fixed that memory leak. All is well for now.
Last edited by lwrver on Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Yes, there is often/sometimes regularly this kind of thing version after version after version... Sometimes you have just to wait for few seconds and other times you must kill the process. Well, it's Firefox... :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
teemac
Level 1
Level 1

Post by teemac »

I have this same problem - "firefox-bin is still running" - and I am using LinuxMint9 64bit LTS Gnome on all my work machines. Firefox on this version is from the repo and is only ver 3.6.23. so I don't know if it is Firefox or some updated codec etc that is causing the error.

I notice this problem appearing mostly after watching a video online (YouTube etc) - the kill process solution works OK.

Time will tell I suppose.
i7 7700K Asus Maximus IX Hero - 16gb ram - Water Cooled - 2xEVO970 M2, 2x4tb HDD - nVidia gtx1050ti - Mint17 & 19.1 x64 Cinnamon
i7 920 Gigabyte EX58-UD3R - 6gb ram - Air - 6x2tb,2x3tb HDD - nVidia GTX750ti - Mint17 & 19.1 x64 Cinnamon
ooburns

Post by ooburns »

Hi. :)

I downloaded Mozilla's tarball of Aurora on my 32-bit LMDE machine, and it's working beautifully. However, I can't get it to work on 64-bit LMDE. When I try and run it, I get

Code: Select all

XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /home/brad/bin/firefox-aurora/libxpcom.so:
libxul.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.
Any ideas on what I might do to get it working?

Edit: It launches after I installed ia32-libs-gtk. But none of the plugins work, and there are a ton of 'Wrong ELF class' warnings when I start up Aurora from the console. Perhaps I need to get a 64-bit version from somewhere...
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Go to this page: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... la-aurora/ for downloading the Aurora 64 bit package... If you need, you can rather download the package from http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... rora-l10n/ for a localised one, if you don't want/need an en-US package.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
ooburns

Post by ooburns »

Grr, they hid it under nightly? I was poking around the FTP site trying to find it, but didn't think to look there.

Thanks!
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Official "Firefox-6.0 Aurora" thread

Post by aes2011 »

linuxviolin wrote:...click on "Look for updates" in the window "About Aurora" in the Help menu. There is an update every day. ...
Any idea if this is still the case? At one time (some months ago) there was talk of stopping the daily updates which mostly did nothing and updating only when necessary.

Also, if they're daily, can you tell me the approx. size of the updates? TIA!
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

aes2011 wrote:Also, if they're daily, can you tell me the approx. size of the updates? TIA!
Unfortunately, when you download/install an update, it is the entire Mozilla/Firefox-browser package ... last time I updated was to Firefox version 9.0 and it was somewhere around 26 Mb.

You might check in the Mozilla/Firefox Support Forums, they might be able to tell you more > http://forums.mozillazine.org/
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

vrkalak wrote:
aes2011 wrote:Also, if they're daily, can you tell me the approx. size of the updates? TIA!
Unfortunately, when you download/install an update, it is the entire Mozilla/Firefox-browser package ... last time I updated was to Firefox version 9.0 and it was somewhere around 26 Mb.

You might check in the Mozilla/Firefox Support Forums, they might be able to tell you more > http://forums.mozillazine.org/
Hi!
What I did day before even though many people don't advise was to download the Aurora tar from Mozilla (not from any ppa) and extract it to a folder in my home directory and allowed for automatically check for updates and to prompt me when an update is available. Yesterday, it updated and that was just ~830 kb. I will post today's update size later. Sometimes, there is a re-spin in which case there will be a "full" update, ~ 17MB in case of Aurora. I now use Aurora all the time but it uses the profile it finds in .mozilla from my regular Firefox install.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

aes2011 wrote:... I will post today's update size later....
Today's update was 854 kB. It does appear to me that getting the Aurora direct from Mozilla as opposed to getting it from a ppa will allow for daily delta updates on most days. I'm not seeing any serious disadvantage in this approach.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

aes2011 wrote:What I did day before even though many people don't advise was to download the Aurora tar from Mozilla (not from any ppa) and extract it to a folder in my home directory and allowed for automatically check for updates and to prompt me when an update is available. Yesterday, it updated and that was just ~830 kb. I will post today's update size later. Sometimes, there is a re-spin in which case there will be a "full" update, ~ 17MB in case of Aurora. I now use Aurora all the time but it uses the profile it finds in .mozilla from my regular Firefox install.
Yes, this is exactly what I said in this topic and in others. A quite simple, easy way and you have always the last version. About the size, there are often some small upgrades, some Kb or 1 or 2 Mb, and sometimes there is a complete update but this one is just about 16 or 17 Mb, not more.
aes2011 wrote:Today's update was 854 kB. It does appear to me that getting the Aurora direct from Mozilla as opposed to getting it from a ppa will allow for daily delta updates on most days. I'm not seeing any serious disadvantage in this approach.
There is no disadvantage at all. And it's cleaner also rather adding repos again and again. Keep simple, clean, original or/and untouched (or almost), sources is often the best way for your system... Add a PPA is another way for Firefox some people can prefer but for me it's totally useless.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

linuxviolin wrote:...
There is no disadvantage at all. And it's cleaner also ...
Can it also be more "secure"? Since everything including the binary is in the user's space even if something nasty happens, won't it be restricted there?
vrkalak

Re: Official Firefox versions 6/7/8/9/10/Beta "Aurora" threa

Post by vrkalak »

With my LMDE-Xfce (and my Debian with Fluxbox) installs ... I have the 'debian/mozilla-aurora' repro added.

The system - just upgraded to using Firefox-10a2 . . . what comes next ??

I guess, I'll have to consult the Mozilla/Firefox Forum . . . :P To see what Mozilla gives us for next year.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

vrkalak wrote:The system - just upgraded to using Firefox-10a2 . . . what comes next ??
Well, 11.0a2 maybe... :D :P (Nightly is currently 11.0a1)
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

vrkalak wrote:... To see what Mozilla gives us for next year.
See if you like this page:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Features/Release_Tracking
and this one:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

Neither of the links for the sources.list provided by
craigevil

Line 5 is malformed
vrkalak

E: Type 'https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+archive/firefox-stable' is not known on line 6 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.
Worked for me - I'm trying to get an updated Firefox, because the one which came out with this LMDE is 5.0, and I believe Mozilla is up to 8 already. I've done

apt-get update && apt-get install firefox && apt-get upgrade
but all I get are these errors. I'm wondering if I need to just remove Firefox and then re-install it without the addition to my sources.list? Anyone got a better idea?
NOTE: I've installed Iceweasel as a web browser, just in case I do need to remove FireFox, and a re-install doesn't work :wink:
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

bootmakr wrote:LMDE
You cannot use ubuntu PPA's on debian. This thread is for the main (ubuntu) edition, please post in the LMDE section.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

My Apologies, I had thought I was in the LMDE forums when I read thru the thread - I've got no interest in the regular Mint, so it was purely accidental :mrgreen:
rykel98

Post by rykel98 »

Linux Mint 12 is stuck with Firefox 8.
The current (stable) version is Firefox 9.

Using the "firefox-stable" PPA will result in a "404: File Not Found" error.
Using the "firefox-next" PPA will install Firefox 10, NOT Firefox 9.
Using the "Aurora" PPA will end up with Firefox 11?

So, how in the world can I get Firefox 9 at all?? :roll:

p/s. Using the zipped file downloaded directly from mozilla.com and running it from /opt can work, BUT I will lose all Mint-specific tools, such as the list of Applications available on my system to deal with downloaded files. (Preferences/Applications) eg. PDF Reader is NOT available at all when running a stock Mozilla Firefox. So, this is NOT the ideal solution.

Return to “Software & Applications”