HOWTO: Installing Google Chrome in LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
craig10x

Re: HOWTO: Installing Google Chrome in LMDE

Post by craig10x »

fertorresf wrote:Why doesn't just install Chrome using the .deb available?

$ dpkg -i .....deb?

I did it with no problems...
That's what i did also...got the deb file of the latest stable edition from Google Chrome website...it will get updated through them directly as newer stable versions are released...I don't mind getting older applications of my other programs through debian...but Chrome/Chromium is my favorite web browser and i like having the features and improvements they offer on the newer versions, so this is one program where i have made the exception...
The version of Chromium offered by debian is rather old now...
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

The how-to is presented as is. Take it or leave it :twisted:
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

CDS wrote:It seems too much complicated for new user of LMDE. Why doesn't it make easy-open,click, done! This headache makes me give up LMDE. Installation of new software isn't easy like other version of linux. Virtual box also didn't work when I installed as soon as LMDE is out. It is not cup of tea for new users.
What other version of Linux ? :roll:

People forget to use the easiest way. The same way your install disk loads packages.
Download the .deb, any.deb file from anywhere, and it winds up in the Downloads folder.

Simply open a terminal and type this
cd Downloads Hit the enter key.
Follow with
sudo dpkg -i goog NOW HIT THE TAB KEY......the rest of the package name will outo-fill.( the package names are a pain in the azz to type manually ..../ googlemoon_18.7-nice-ignorant_i686.deb.sally-s-a_bimbo_deb)
After it auto-fills hit enter. Enter root password.Hit enter again.
Done

It takes roughly ten seconds for a two fingered typer to install a .deb from the downloads folder using this method.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

the gdebi installer was added by default in the december lmde isos....which mean that you simply download a deb file to your downloads folder, then right click on the file and select "open gdebi installer" it opens you ask it to install the program and done! :)

if you installed using the original iso, you should be able to add the gdebi installer in the software center...
No need to use the terminal at all for this... :wink:
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

$ dpkg -i .....deb?

I did it with no problems...
dpkg doesn't seem to add an entry to your sources.list like installing with gdebi does.
JordanV0712

Post by JordanV0712 »

Can someone help me. I have installed Google Chrome via GDebi Package installer and I can't find it anywhere on my Computer!
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Right click on the menu and go to edit menu...see if it is listed under "internet" and if it is...make sure it is checked....
If you don't see it on there then check the box that says "debian" also...then either re-boot or simply "reload plug ins" when right clicking on the menu...one way or the other, it should appear... :wink:

Doing that might show 2 google chrome icons...the preferable one to use is the one that also has the words "web browser" above the words "Google Chrome"..that one won't disappear after each new program gets installed on LMDE....the other icon will, but will come back each time you reload the plug ins in the menu or re-boot your computer...

It's a quirk that LMDE has but you don't find in the ubuntu based main edition... :roll:
NimaSepassi

Post by NimaSepassi »

I wouldn't bother with Chrome... try Iron Browser instead. Same thing but more secure.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

NimaSepassi wrote:I wouldn't bother with Chrome... try Iron Browser instead. Same thing but more secure.
Thanks for the tip. I was looking for something to replace Chrome with when I don't wish to mess with chrome unstable. It couldn't even down grade back to stable, if I wanted too,with out going in and deleting everything chrome in the computer because of a version confict. Now I can run ether what ever the mood that strikes me.

I just couldn't get into Chromium, it was ether me, my hardware or a little of both.
GregE

Post by GregE »

wyrdoak wrote:It couldn't even down grade back to stable, if I wanted too,with out going in and deleting everything chrome in the computer because of a version confict.
To backgrade Chrome set up sync and let it sync everything. Then rename ~/.config/google-chrome to something else and then install Chrome stable or beta and let it delete unstable.

Then from the new plain Chrome set up sync again and back comes all your bookmarks and extensions. It does take a bit of work to get back to where you were, but it is not that hard.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

GregE, thanks for your help, I'm back to Chrome stable. I always sync so I can get to what I need no mater what computer or partition I'm using. Just didn't know what to kill to get stable working again, an uninstall didn't do it.

Seems like with unstable they were adding more and more "innovations" an neglecting any regressions so that the regressions kept getting worse, I might have stayed with it if there was some balance to what they are doing. Seems like sometimes they were just trying to keep unstable as unstable as they could.
Chris M

Post by Chris M »

omns wrote:
Install via terminal

In a terminal run the following commands

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Add the following entry to the list.
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ stable non-free main

Save and exit gedit

Now run the following command

wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install google-chrome-stable

for the unstable development version adjust the the above to

wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install google-chrome-unstable ...

If when updating your system in the future you get an error message about the chrome repos not being able to be verified. Run the following command in a terminal(This may only apply to the GUI method)

wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add -
On my 64-bit machine, Chrome does not update (I'm using sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade). I have added it to sources.list, but it will not update. I have to do it mannualy (GDebi).

On my 32-bit machines, Chrome updates every time. Am I missing something? Is there something else that needs to be listed (sources.list) for the google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb version?

Thanks
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I love using Chromium and would like to find an easy way to keep the newest version on my drive without having to use the Google tracking and branding. I see Debian has a newer version in Sid, but if I add that repo (once I find the code to do it, of course), will having that repo active cause problems for other apps in LMDE? I'm already risking borking my system by using KDE (yes, I'm too impatient to wait for the official LMDE KDE release :p) and I'd prefer to keep conflicts and confusion to a minimum this time around.

Thoughts?
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

wyrdoak_lmde ~ $ apt-cache policy google-chrome-stable
google-chrome-stable:
Installed: 15.0.874.106-r107270
Candidate: 15.0.874.106-r107270
Version table:
*** 15.0.874.106-r107270 0
500 http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Just downloaded the deb package from the Google Chrome site and installed it.
It updates its self now.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

BostonPeng wrote:I love using Chromium and would like to find an easy way to keep the newest version on my drive without having to use the Google tracking and branding. I see Debian has a newer version in Sid, but if I add that repo (once I find the code to do it, of course), will having that repo active cause problems for other apps in LMDE? I'm already risking borking my system by using KDE (yes, I'm too impatient to wait for the official LMDE KDE release :p) and I'd prefer to keep conflicts and confusion to a minimum this time around.

Thoughts?
From what I've read, Chrome tracking is fearmongering. I do run the disconnect, ghostery, and keep my opt outs extensions, since I can't control what Google's servers do. (I should note, one of these seems to play heck with redirects when I hit a URL like code.google.com that expects an account login.)

There's an (unofficial?) link to the latest build at getchromium.org. My feeling running chromium snapshots for the past year, though, is that you're gambling with showstopper bugs in the daily builds, and better off with some degree of quality control (either Google's release manager, or the DM). The Chrome unstable/dev channel tracks these builds pretty closely, without most of the headaches.

I can usually get away with repo-swapping in /etc/apt/sources.list, grabbing the update, and swapping back, but there's always a chance it will backfire.

Note apt-listbugs currently shows:
grave bugs of chromium (13.0.782.107~r94237-1 -> 15.0.874.106~r107270-1) <unfixed>
#648015 - chromium: fails to render any web page
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Thanks for the info, mockturtl. I remember the problems with running nightly builds of Chromium back when I was a Ubuntu user and I'm not looking to do that again. I think I'll just stick with what I have for now but revisit the decision from time to time. It seems that once again when I thought I was getting time to "play around" with things rather than trying to get my laptop to around where my desktop was in terms of apps and applets installed the rest of my life got busy enough that I'm having to make notes to myself to remember to do things I actually need to do fairly soon. I hate when that happens.
twa

Post by twa »

Hi to everyone,
ILO Chromium have U ever tried SRWare Iron ??
http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php
am using it with full satisfaction.
no need to install on HD.
GregE

Post by GregE »

mockturtl wrote: Note apt-listbugs currently shows:
grave bugs of chromium (13.0.782.107~r94237-1 -> 15.0.874.106~r107270-1) <unfixed>
#648015 - chromium: fails to render any web page
I just installed a ver 15 from sid and it still fails to render any web page (AMD64)

Chrome keeps working

Return to “LMDE Archive”