Linux Debian problem while booting

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
coolguy

Linux Debian problem while booting

Post by coolguy »

Hi, I just installed Linux Mint Debian 201109 onto my desktop. The installation was fast and easy, and I rebooted into my desktop without the disk and everything was running fine.

But, this morning, when I turned on my desktop to check my email, I booted the computer, linux went throught the startup process showing me the text and all that, but when that is all done, I am greeted to a black screen with a blinking dash on the top left( Exactly the same type of screen you would see if there inst an operating system on your hard drive). I tried to execute some commands, but I couldnt use my keyboard!

What is going on? I will post additional details if neccesary.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Linux Debian problem while booting

Post by proxima_centauri »

* Moved to LMDE forum

Did you install any different graphic drivers after installation?
coolguy

Post by coolguy »

No drivers, I only installed applications from the software center and package manager. Im not sure how it could matter but I did download nVidia settings for my graphics card.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Boot the LMDE LiveCD.

Open up the partition for LMDE - navigate to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
From there, open up a terminal (I think you can right-click in the folder and it's an option) and edit the file as root, gksudo gedit xorg.conf
If there is no option to open a terminal from that folder, you need to manually navigate to xorg.conf

Once that file is open for edit, change the line Driver "nvidia" to Driver "nouveau"

Reboot, if it works, make sure you follow the instructions for Update Pack 3.

Then follow this guide to set up nvidia drivers properly
coolguy

Post by coolguy »

Did what you said and sure enough it worked. Thanks for the help!

Return to “LMDE Archive”