install linux mint LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ilAli
Level 3
Level 3

install linux mint LMDE

Post by ilAli »

Hi.
how can i install linux mint debian into the windows vista?
i do not want to use a virtual machine.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: install linux mint LMDE

Post by AlbertP »

You mean, next to Windows Vista?
When you boot the Mint disc you can install it from there and choose "Install next to Windows" or "Install next to other OS".
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

* Moved to LMDE Installation & Boot forum

Burn the .iso image to a CD+R or a DVD+/-R and boot from it. Or you can use a USB stick instead of a CD/DVD - with the tool unetbootin, which is software also available for Windows.

When you boot the Live desktop, use Partition Editor (gparted) to create a partition for Linux Mint, you can do this by shrinking your Windows partition and creating an ext4 partition with the new space afforded. You should also create a SWAP partition, which should be roughly as big as your RAM.

During the installation for Linux Mint, choose to install the root system "/" to the partition you created, e.g., /dev/sda3 for example. Also select SWAP partition to be used as SWAP.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I think the "Install next to other OS" option is much easier for people new to Linux, than manually setting up everything with GParted.
But I don't know if LMDE already has that option.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
proxima_centauri

I don't believe that option exists in LMDE.

Also, to the OP - it's not Linux Mint Debian 11, it's just Linux Mint Debian.
If you are actually using Linux Mint 11; the main edition - please report so and we can change our suggestions accordingly.
ilAli
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ilAli »

i have opensuse 11.4 installed alongside windows vista and i affraid installing linux mint debian alongside these OSs distroy opensuse system files.
what do you think?
proxima_centauri

As long as you have a partition that you can install LMDE to, grub2 will be able to multi-boot all three OS's.
It seems your primary concern is finding a way to allocate space to a new partition.
Evil-K

Post by Evil-K »

This is to sort of piggyback on the original post. I too have been trying to install LMDE numerous times and have failed each time (specifically the Xfce version), so any information I can get would be most welcome.

On my laptop I have Windows XP (for my games... Wine's given me too many hangovers) and Ubuntu LTS 10.04.3, and I would like to install Mint Xfce Debian alongside the three of them. Obviously, the boot loader is in the Ubuntu partition. So when installing LMDE Xfce, would I put the "/" on the Ubuntu partition, or have it on the new partition for Mint? I tried the latter, but it went straight for the Ubuntu bootloader with LMDE nowhere in sight. I want to put it on the Ubuntu partition, but I don't want to risk screwing things up more than I already have :P.

BTW, I tried just erasing the Ubuntu partition and just installing LMDE on the new partition, but that completely screwed things up (went to a rescue disk prompt... not good).
Evil-K

Post by Evil-K »

After I posted that, I re-read it and realized that I may have answered my own question as far as what to do, namely by installing the GRUB bootloader onto the Ubuntu partition, that way the same bootloader will lead to all three of the installed OS's. I'm going to reboot after I post this and share my results. Either way, I think it will help someone who's having the same problem I am.
Evil-K

Post by Evil-K »

Never mind. No dice. At least it didn't screw up my other two OS's.
ilAli
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ilAli »

as i know, linux mint debian(LMDE) is "rolling realize". this caused to be less stable.
so, is there any lmde version that is not "rolling realize"?
Evil-K

Post by Evil-K »

ilAli wrote:as i know, linux mint debian(LMDE) is "rolling realize". this caused to be less stable.
so, is there any lmde version that is not "rolling realize"?
There is a tutorial in the community pages describing the process of switching the repositories to 'stable'.

FINAL UPDATE:
I'm pleased to announce that I am posting this reply from my installed LMDE Xfce :). The final step was good ol' "sudo apt-get upgrade" in terminal. Did it by accident when I was installing the newest Firefox into Ubu10.04 per the Linux Mint tutorial. Found the kernels and got 'em working. I'm a happy guy.

Return to “LMDE Archive”